Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135967 | Designers: 11548                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Irony of ironies, I hate 95% of the technically legal, just-thus-side-of-infringement movie/tv/popculture exploitation opportunistic coat-tail riding fanart bullshit just as much as the flagrant bootlegs. Maybe more, when I hear people who swim in that particular sea getting on a high horse about 'illegal' art. As though what they do is so much more noble.

And I will never do it.
    Never.

Comments

and there are quite a few doing it! whee!

what are your feelings on the licensed series? Funny to see artists flock to the pop culture flavor of the week, even if licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Irony of ironies, I hate 95% of the technically legal, just-thus-side-of-infringement movie/tv/popculture exploitation opportunistic coat-tail riding fanart bullshit just as much as the flagrant bootlegs. Maybe more, when I hear people who swim in that particular sea getting on a high horse about 'illegal' art. As though what they do is so much more noble.

And I will never do it.
    Never.

Comments

Dan -- Go school these people because you are smarter than I am.

EB Forum • View topic - G88 Breaking Bad ARG/Gallery SHOW?!?!? (RUMOR)

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde7 View Post
    and there are quite a few doing it! whee!
    Quite a few of my friends and contemporaries do it. And I don't mind telling them I think it's lame as shit, and degrades them as artists. Maybe some do it just because of the perception that everyone else is doing it, and that if they don't, then they are missing the boat. Everyone has to make a buck right? I just hate to see people I respect, putting so low a price on their integrity. Because when you say you are making art 'inspired by' whateverthefuck, 9 times out of 10 that is a lie. You are making art 'inspired by' the prospect of a viral payday on the coat tails of somene else's creation. You are no more 'inspired by' that property than the guy who sells bootleg "World Champions!" shirts by the thousands outside the stadium, 5 minutes after game 7 of the World Series, is inspired by team loyalty.

And you know what, maybe a handful of artists really are so 'inspired by' some movie or tv show that making fan art about it really does represent the fulfillment of their artistic vision, and they would do it anyway absent the profit motive or some themed-show gallery's brief. I suppose plenty of people are driven by sheer inspiration to write homoerotic fan fiction about Harry Potter, and there's no money in that (?)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde7 View Post
    what are your feelings on the licensed series? Funny to see artists flock to the pop culture flavor of the week, even if licensed.
    Often my feelings are, "you are talented as fuck and I wonder what amazing art you might create if you weren't spending all your time doing this." But I don't want to get too far out on that limb, as the same could be said about gig posters. I may not be all that interested in the subject matter, but that's my problem and not anyone else's.

If it is commissioned by the property's owner or their licensee, then I don't see any problem with it. Same as a gig poster commissioned by the band: If they think their property/product will be enhanced by a particular artist's interpretation and hire them, great. That's how it should work. A ton of great concert posters, film posters, classic album covers, etc have been produced that way. Plenty of garbage too, but that's beside the point.

Premium Member

Comments

I only bootleg 'mean people suck' stickers.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

There's no point lecturing EB about this stuff Blonde.
    Some of them totally get it, some of them never will.
    The ethical issue is mainly at the producer end, not the consumer. IMO.

You might just as well go over there and berate people for having horrible fucking taste, which lies at the core of the whole 'inspired by' art phenom, legal, illegal, and "in-between" (Lolz). Horrible taste is a God-given right, and those with the cash to indulge it are free to do so. I may not share someone's horrible fucking taste, but I will defend their right to have it.

Premium Member

Comments

The only appropriate place to hang a Breaking Bad poster would be a dorm room. Kids these days get their music for free, why would they give a fuck about properly licensed teevee show posters?

Comments

Maybe I breezed through this too quick, but I must have missed something. So the issue here is people reprinting someone else's design? Or is the problem some hack making unlicensed posters?

Comments

What's funny is most of the EB people are most likely buying these as an investment. Bootleg merch, i'm pretty sure in most cases doesn't rise in value.

Comments
    Items for Sale

oh to be young and full of time and resources to devote to bullshit