Gig Posters

Posters: 154331 | Bands: 134496 | Designers: 11430                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blick Inks?

Comments

Default Blick Inks?

How awful are Blick inks?
    Are we talking "Do Not Use," "OK For A Noob Like You", or "Solid Stuff?"

I'm finding not much in the way of reviews online, and what I do find seems to be inconsistent.

I'm a newbie here and to screen printing in general, using a makeshift set up in my garage.

I've been getting the process down for that past few months and now want to try a print that will actually be used and handed out... I don't need amazing inks for this, since I'm still on a tight budget and won't be paid for these prints, but I also don't want to waste my time and the money I do spend making 50 prints that will turn out like crap because I used bad inks. I've got my three containers of Blicks ink in-hand, ready to go... now just to decide if I'm using them or returning them.

Comments

just use speedball, they aren't expensive and are just fine to learn on

Blick inks are AWESOME. I use them all the time. The acrylic ones for paper, textile for shirts and fabric etc. Used the white ink on some shirts a few days ago and turned out uber bright after a flash. Awesome. I love them. Smells like Union Aerotex, so I have my suspicions...

Just make sure you aren't using that "water soluble" ink. In Blick stores they are on the same shelf as the better stuff. Everytime you print with water-soluble inks, an angel gets its wings torn off by a giant five-year old.

Premium Member

Comments

I've used blicks inks before and never had a problem. I've even mixed them with speedball ink and it was fine. I don't think you're supposed to mix different brands which made me think maybe blicks is just repackaged speedball.

Comments

Blick is probably just a relabeled ink from some other manufacturer. Could be speedball for all we know. Try Daler Rowney System 3

Premium Member

Comments

I use Blick inks all the time. I wonder who the real manufacturer is. I think they're pretty solid though.

Premium Member

Comments

The textile Blick inks print fine on paper. I usually add gloss additive to the black so the finish doesn't look so chalky. Mainly print with Speedball acrylic, but Blick stuff works in a pinch.

Comments

A belated thanks to all for your replies. I haven't mixed Speedball and Blick together, but I have been using them for different colors on the same print. Seem to be working fine. Loving all the info on this forum. Super helpful stuff.

Comments

Hey @patoakes, can you recommend a gloss additive? I'm either ordering from silkscreeningsupplies.com or walking into one of the warehouses for midwestsign.com since they're only a few miles from me. My online searches find products that are probably fine, but since they reference fabric specifically, I'm not 100% if that would be a good purchase or not. I'm printing on paper and have been experimenting printing on vinyl records.

Comments

house paint.