Gig Posters

Posters: 156255 | Bands: 135947 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Issue with Fixxons inkjet film....

Time for another round of GP troubleshooting!

Ok, there is a chance this has nothing to do with the particular film I'm using but maybe it does. I'm printing Fixxons films on an Epson 7890 printer, letting the films sit to dry (sometimes overnight, sometimes for a half hour or so...doesn't seem to make a difference either way), and exposing screens that have been coated 1 on the print side, 2 on the squeegee side and left to dry for at least a few hours (sometimes overnight...again, doesn't seem to make a difference). The issue I'm having is that after exposing for 11 min under weighted glass with my 1000 watt halogen bulb the films are sticking to my screen. They do come off without affecting the emulsion and the screens are perfect, but the problem is that some of the ink from the film is sticking and staying on the emulsion rendering the film useless for more screens down the road. This kind of sucks because I do a lot of repeat printing for a friends coffee shop....multiple orders of the same thing a couple times a month. Having to output new film every time is a huge waste of time and money.

I am assuming that the culprit is probably humidity....or heat from the halogen. But I'm not sure. My studio is not very humid...its actually rather dry. Of course I cant say that for certain, I don't have a humidistat, just going based on the fast rate of wet screens, ink, etc, drying in my studio....pretty darn quick. And the fact that leaving screens to dry overnight doesn't seem to make much difference.

I did recently change the bulb in my halogen...the old one was pretty old....maybe the new one is getting hotter? I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to take any less time to get a proper exposure with the new bulb anyway.

So, does anyone else ever have this problem? With Fixxons film, or with any other brand? I'm trying to decide if I should tough it out with this roll until its gone and spring for a roll of a more name brand film next time around, or if I should buy a better roll right now given the amount of epson ink I'm wasting (not cheap stuff).

Thoughts?

Premium Member

Comments

are you printing on the right side of the film?

Comments

We don't have this problem but we are using, Lexjet film, coating 1/1 mostly, drying coated screens with a dehumidifier. The only time we ever have sticking is when we are really rushing the dry time of the coat.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by vastagh View Post
    are you printing on the right side of the film?
    :sigh:.....yeeessss

My post count may be low, but I'm not that much of a noob! haha.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    We don't have this problem but we are using, Lexjet film, coating 1/1 mostly, drying coated screens with a dehumidifier. The only time we ever have sticking is when we are really rushing the dry time of the coat.
    The first thing I thought was "emulsion must not be dry enough." So I started coating screens and letting them dry overnight and it didn't improve. My drying cabinet has really good air flow via an intake and a bathroom fan outlet...and the cloth that covers the front to keep it light tight still lets air through. I guess the only way for me to really rule that out as a factor though is to either buy a dehumidifier, or a humidistat, or try a different roll of film. So it looks like no matter what I'm probably going to have to spend some money to figure this out for sure. Damn it.

I just moved my studio down the hall to a bigger space that has a darkroom built into it. I won't be able to make screens in this new spot until I build a new washout booth this weekend. I guess I'll wait until I make a couple new screens in this new spot and see if anything changes...maybe the new room will be dryer and the problem will fix itself. Or not. I'll report back next week when I've made a couple screens in the new room.

Oh! Also, my gallon of QTX is getting pretty old. I think its easily a bit over a year old at this point...not much left in the gallon. Pure photopolymers have a pretty long life, but could old emulsion have anything to do with it?

Comments

Sure the emulsion could be a factor. I go through 2 to 3 gallons a week so I don't have any first hand experience with old emulsion though.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gein View Post
    :sigh:.....yeeessss

My post count may be low, but I'm not that much of a noob! haha.
    Noob nothin. I still do it from time to time.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I just shot two positives upside down yesterday.

OMGNOOBFAIL!!1

Comments

Nooooooooobbbbbzzzzzzzzzz!

Comments

Well....its definitely time for a new gallon of emulsion either way. So I guess I'll start there.