Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Problems with print registration

Ok so not sure if this is should be posted in this section, but I sure need
    some help from the veteran screen printers. This is a little hard to explain
    but here goes.

I've recently noticed when printing an image there is a spot on the stencil
    ever so often that does not print well when I'm printing. The screen is exposed
    fine the image is exposed on the screen well. Even on the setup I can see that
    its fine. When i put the ink down all the areas print fine except for one spot.
    (see image and where I've circled). I checked everything.. off contact is fine,
    adjusted my print head, cleaned the screen specifically that one spot since it
    seems like the ink was cloggin but nothing. It just driving me nuts!

I do notice that this occurs on a higher mesh count like 255 and up. Does
    that have to do anything to it? Another theory is that its not level? Like the
    pallet maybe? Your guys help would be much appreciated!

Comments

bad washout.

What do you mean bad washout? The stencil looks good as in the emulsion in that area exposed fine

Premium Member

Comments

When you wash your screen out after exposure.....wash the living hell out of it. Make sure the squeegee side of your screen doesn't feel slimy to the touch.

Premium Member

Comments

or check there is nothing on the pallet in that spot. A dimple or something stuck. If it's only one colour, shift the screen slightly and see if that cures it.

If not, then as said above, really rinse the screen (all over, not just the image), make sure it is hard, and dry horizontal in case you got scum drops running down and drying (from not washing the whole screen completely)

did you try scrubbing the opening with a wet rag?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    or check there is nothing on the pallet in that spot. A dimple or something stuck. If it's only one colour, shift the screen slightly and see if that cures it.

If not, then as said above, really rinse the screen (all over, not just the image), make sure it is hard, and dry horizontal in case you got scum drops running down and drying (from not washing the whole screen completely)

did you try scrubbing the opening with a wet rag?
    Thanks everyone I will try it next time. No I just burnt another screen and it was fine had to get the job done sooner, I'm going to try the wet rag. There was nothing under the pallet for sure so I eleminated that from the list of variables. I didn't think of the "scum" issue you were guys were referring too I assumed it was clear since under the light it looked clear on the screen.

Premium Member

Comments

I agree with andy on the wet rag method. Also, after wash-out, once my screen is dry, I usually hold the screen up at an angle to see if there is a shiny gloss on the mesh, if I see any, I'll wash out that area again.

Comments

Washout scum is a likely culprit. Could be from something as innocent as wiping water off the screen after washout, and lodging some wet emulsion in a few of the mesh holes. If this is the case, you'll notice the screen clearing itself out after several strokes (with WB inks, anyway)... we've had cases where we've had to pull 20+ test prints to fully clear out a design. Not fun. Rinse, rinse, rinse!

Premium Member

Comments

I'm going to agree with all the above, but one (less likely, but plausible) explanation would be that that particular area did not make the best contact with the screen during exposure. I'm not sure what exposure method you used, but a small wave or ripple in your film in the area in question could potentially have caused that hazy edge. I still think it's most likely a washout issue, though.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W