Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135967 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default printing on aluminum or enamel painted aluminum

Can someone tell me about the proper paint to get to print on aluminum or enamel painted aluminum? I have been using normal enamel rustoleum for a while, but it is really thin. I usually have to let it set out for a bit to thicken up, but it still bleeds and causes blotches. This is for finer detail and mostly small text.

I have never bought any of the professional screen inks for this but would like to try some at this point. I have used normal inks on paper and they are all nice and thick and don't have this issue. Are the inks for the metals just the same as getting a can of rustoleum or are they thick like paper/shirt inks?

Any brands/models to check out first? I will just be doing simple one/two color runs. Nothing very fancy. I see Nazdar suggests their ADE line.

Thanks for any information on the subject.

Comments

Some kind of laminate, spray or maybe foil?

Premium Member

Comments

enamel ink on enamel finish. It's more or less the same as WB inks, just need thinners and a strong nose.

epoxy (2 component) on untreated aluminum or other metals, powdercoating etc. this is nastier ink but goes rock hard after drying and a little bake.

most other inks will scratch or flake off as they won't bond to the surface.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

All those extra brain cells you have, sitting there unused?

Yeah, well...

Comments

Enamel works well and is easier to print than the Epoxy (which really sticks well). Whatever ink you choose make sure you degrease the sheet with rubbing alcohol first.

Premium Member

Comments

I've done a few art prints onto the bare aluminum backs of used offset-printing plates using 2 component epoxy ink.
    The stuff holds really well. you can squash the plates into a ball and flatten them out again with hardly a chip missing.
    The inks smell lovely too, and after every print the world just gets that little nicer... quieter... less cluttered...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Can someone point me to brands and models of the ink? Say if you are talking about Nazdar 5900 series, would this ink be thicker than normal rustoleum oil/enamels?

What brand/series is the 2 part epoxy ink sold in? Any places better than others to get the ink?

Thanks everyone again,

Comments

Nazdar 59000 series not 5900, anyway just go to the Nazdar site.
    SourceOne - Substrate Chart

Comments

Also if I were to do signs with store bought paint I would use 1-Shot sign paint instead of rustoleam

I am not looking at doing signs in the outdoor sense. I make synth panels for myself and sometimes friends. I have been using rustoleum but it does not give me 100% perfect prints due to the paint being a bit thin. This is on 200-320ish screens. I figured that Nazdar or some other brand's ink/paint would work better since it is made for screen printing. I don't really want to spend $30 on each quart only to find out it is the same as getting any type of oil/enamel paint at a hardware store. I have read a bit and found that some amp/pedal companies use the 2 part epoxy inks as mentioned above but I cannot find out the brands or series of the inks/paint. Most of the silkscreen places I have found on the web are geared toward selling you teeshirt or paper/poster ink. I figured someone here would have printed on metal/enamel painted metal before and could directly point me to correct paint to use and know if Nazdar 59000 series is the same consistency as rustoleum or if it is (hoplefully) a different thicker consistency. I don't mind investing money into the ink/paint/epoxy since I don't use that much and a little will last me a long time, but I rather spend the money on the correct product than simply randomly ordering stuff off the web.

Hopefully this will clarify a bit where I am coming from. My experience is not great and I have only done a few different projects. Mostly I have worked with metal, but I have worked with paper. The ink I bought for that was quite thick and did not run through the screen and cause blotchy marks on the paper. I am just looking to get nice sharp text on every pull.

Thanks,