Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default TW ink scratching off?

So before Flatstock Austin, I printed a ton of stickers with some black TW ink that I borrowed from some one. The ink dried, but when scratch tested it it scraped right off with a finger nail.

Bad vinyl? Wrong Ink?

I'm trying to order both ink and vinyl to print some stickers before Bumbershoot and could use the some input on both if anyone is willing. I done some searching and there is info here and there that may answer my questions, but there's one piece that I'm also confused on. I was told that I forgot to add some sort of additive to the ink to get it to adhere to the vinyl and that's why it didn't work.

Cheers,
    DG

Is it the waterbased stuff? Something tells me that ink isn't really optimal for vinyl even with an additive. Try some Nazdar 9700, choice of huffers everywhere.

Comments

TW makes an additive called "Activator" for waterbased inks. I use it mainly for prints that have lots of overlapping colors and for ink that goes on top of any metallic. It helps to assure that the prints don't stick together after they're dried and stacked up. And in the case of metallics, it prevents the ink printed on top of them to not rubb off.

As for stickers, this stuff could help a bunch. Personally, I haven't printed many stickers without using Nazdar. Either way, it won't hurt to get some Activator since you can use it for a variety of problems. Good luck, David.

Premium Member

Comments

my experience with TW 5000 on vinyl....and other solvent based inks on vinyl

1. TW 5000 (or 5500) stick to some vinyl, not others

2. All vinyls are not created equal - 'migrating plasticicers' the material that makes the difference between a hard sheet of vinyl and soft flexible one (think cast vinyl and cling vinyl) are usually the culprit. In cheap vinyl, they move to the surface over time and create a film that is hard for inks to stick to.

3. If this happens (the plasticisers going to the surface) even solvent inks won't stick well. this happens a lot with cling vinyl - always check the manufacture date of the vinyl, and test first to make sure your ink sticks. If the ink flakes, you can clean the surface with IPA, but you don't want to be doing this.

4. If I'm doing stickers, I suck it up and use Ink Tech General Purpose solvent based, similar to Nazdar and a few others rated for vinyl and plastics. I wouldn't risk the ink coming off, as I have had it happen before. the solvent inks need to bite the surface and bond.

5. I'm a going to try some activator, that sound like a plan.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post

3. If this happens (the plasticisers going to the surface) even solvent inks won't stick well. this happens a lot with cling vinyl - always check the manufacture date of the vinyl, and test first to make sure your ink sticks. If the ink flakes, you can clean the surface with IPA, but you don't want to be doing this.
    If I don't have an IPA available can I use a Stout or Lager? All in all, seems like a waste of beer....

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks Laura and Andy. I spoke with the TW folks and they did say that the activator helps with adhesion to certain substrates. Wound up getting a sample of it to test out with my order of black 5500. I know some one that uses it without problem by using the additive.
    I've been using a water clean up sign painter's enamel but the last time I did that it was drying in the screen. Just trying to figure out what works best for me. The vinyl I had been using is called greenstar from us cutter. I'm pretty sure it's new vinyl but it's also pretty cheap so maybe its a quality issue?

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by B-DROID View Post
    If I don't have an IPA available can I use a Stout or Lager? All in all, seems like a waste of beer....
    I would recommend you drink whatever is handy then use your integrated squirting accessory to wash down the material. Please do not send me any samples if you use this method.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Hey everyone. Just wanted to report that the WB activator that they sell mixed with that ink printed perfectly and doesn't want to scratch or smear off the vinyl. The stickers look great. Now I just have to cut them all out. Looks nice with white matte vinyl with black matte ink. If you are at Flatstock 36 you should check 'em out.

Comments

That's interesting. I use Naz Dars VP vinyl series ink for sticker printing. No adhesion additive needed and never an adhesion issue.
    I get my vinyl material from Catalina Plastics.