Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135994 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Process thread, eight color art print

Greetings! I was feeling a bit overdue for a process thread, so I've been taking photos while I completed a new art print this past week. A couple of steps are missing (but I'll be as thorough as I can when explaining), and please excuse any less-than-ideal photo quality.

We start here with a finished ink drawing, which looks like this:

Anyone at Flatstock 35 in Chicago last weekend may recognize this image, as a digitally colored version of it was used for the brochure.

I took the drawing to Kinko's and enlarged/printed it onto film with the blueprint printer. In this case, I wanted to separate the drawing into two different keyline films (one for the grass and one for the billboard explosion).
    I take the films back to the studio and get them on my light table and start planning out some clouds for the background with pencil on bond paper. Then I put a fresh sheet of rubylith down and cut out some basic cloud shapes.

Then it's time to start doing this:

Listening to Unsolved Mysteries reruns and hatching

Maybe you noticed how the clouds breach the upper left corner of the billboard. Since the line work was so thin on this thing (and since I'll have to register two different tight keylines), I decided to just place an opaque spot color down just before the key. So the first film is done done, and it's time to print the first color.

Mixing the first color. Gray!

The first color looks like this:
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

Yes!
    I work at Landland, Mpls Our website On Facebook On this thing

Premium Member

Comments

Then it's time to add some more depth and cloudy goodness. Here's a shot of the film for the second color in progress.

Second film finished!

Exposing the second film

I seem to be missing a shot of what that looks like printed, but then I take that back to the light table for another layer in the clouds.

Then printed. As you can see, I'm just layering up some increasingly darker gray colors.

The fourth and final screen for the clouds, ready to print yet another shade of gray:
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

So then I start thinking about the big field of grass. I did the stupidest thing I could think of and decided to just cut the whole thing out of rubylith. Here is a clean sheet of rubylith placed over the film for keyline #1.

Wheeeeee

Here you can see the finished sky with the film for color number five taped down in order to register.

Color number 5 goes down without an issue.

Laying the keyline film for the grass over what I just printed to make sure it's going to line up.

Keyline #1 (and color six) gets printed. It's a muted dark brown sort of color.

Next is the spot color for the billboard and keyline 2.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

-Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

Cutting more rubylith. Using rulers. More Unsolved Mysteries reruns.

Exposing the film for color number seven. Shield your eyes.

Color seven is registered. A warm, very muted red violet shade has been mixed. Registration tabs taped in place. Let's do it.

It looks like this:

Then I take the second keyline (alias, "color eight") and place it over one of the prints. I'm checking to make sure registration will work, and I'm also touching up and reworking the bottoms of the billboard posts so that they work well with the blades of grass from colors five and six.

Printing the last color, a very dark blue/black. Checking registration on the first few prints.

And here you can see how it works (or doesn't work?) with the first keyline:

And the finished print looks like this:
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

-Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

analog beast!
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

great work justin!

Premium Member

Comments