Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135996 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default Recycling aluminum frames

So I have started to get a stock pile of old aluminum frames that are either sizes I don't use or have ripped/trashed mesh. Can you get any money for the aluminum at a metal refuse place? I would have a bunch restretched but after shipping it comes out to more than just getting new ones. Also, does anyone know of a place with larger aluminum frames like 30"x40" and 36"x36", only place I have found a larger size than 25"x36" is Victory Factory in New York, I'm in Ohio so closer would be nice.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

You should hang onto those frames if you can. They may not be useful to you now but they will be later.

And what's this about shipping frames off to be remeshed? Surely there is a local place in the Columbus area that can do all that, and will cost much less than new frames.
    Typically frames are built to order at whatever size you need. If you're confining your search to places with user-friendly websites and stock frames...look further. The internets have their limits.

I go to GSF (Graphic Screen Fashion) in Elgin, IL and I know they get customers bringing in truckloads of frames from as far away as Indianapolis... But there's probably somewhere much closer to you. If not Columbus, then Cleveland for sure.

Ask Andymac.

Comments

Definitely would be nice to find a local guy...all the places I get chemicals sell mesh on the roll and only standard textile size frames 23"x31" etc...they said they can ship and have who does their frames restretch and get custom size frames, but then I'm back at square one. Columbus definitely doesn't have the resources Chicago has. I'll pull out the phonebook again to doublecheck...

Premium Member

Comments

you near milford? I know a guy...

yes you can get $$ for aluminum, they pay about $1.50 lb here, not sure there

i did some compares on restretches (23x31) it is cheaper to buy cheapie stretch and glues, but if it isn't a decent place, they won't use decent mesh (cheap chinese) and the glue will let loose.

I know those guys Dan uses, they are good.

the bigger the frame, the more expensive.

Sometimes it's cheaper to get your own frames custom welded if you know someone, but there are some standard frame sizes also - chepaest to stick with them.

Get a big retentionables and some glue and stretch your own if its' really worth it to you to save some bucks. I figure after you have used a screen 4 or 5 times it's paid for. and I make more money printing than i do trying to stretch screens.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

use the frames as the skeleton for your soap box derby car.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by danieldanger View Post
    use the frames as the skeleton for your soap box derby car.
    Or start getting ready for the winter and build the ultimate sled.

Comments

Contact Off Contact Productions.
    They are in Toledo. The make and stretch custom size aluminum frames
    419-255-5546
    Off Contact Productions

Premium Member

Comments

I just upcycled some 36"x48" frames I never plan to use again into legs for a workroom table. Surprisingly sturdy for something held together by brackets, clamps, and Gorilla Tape, and if I ever change my mind about the frames I can always take it apart.

Premium Member

Comments

Toledo is like 2.5 hours from Columbus and Milford is almost 2 hours in the opposite direction.

I kinda have a similar problem... I only save about $2 by having a dude show-up and pick-up my screens and re-mesh them. But he takes forever.

Premium Member

Comments

A bit off topic but a possible solution to this issue in the future - Any of you checked out the Greenscreens we had at FS Austin? We gave some away, haven't heard back from the winners.....I have two I have been playing with here. Other than a lower tension (stabilized around 16-18 newtons after initial stretch) they work pretty good, and unlike roller frames, have 4 squared frame sides.

I did some cost analysis on 10 of them (23x31) with a 230 mesh vs. 10 from Ryonet at their discount price. I'm not counting the quality of the mesh (chinese vs Swiss) etc.

Assuming $20 shipping charge (I have no idea what you guys pay in the USA. That will barely get one screen shipped to Vancouver here)

Cost for 10 stretch and glues = $318

Cost to get remeshed = $360 (It may be less, but I have included a $10 cleaning charge - either you take the time to get them nice, or they charge for it) but also add in the time it takes to get them ready, shipping time, time to remesh, and time to ship back)

So, assuming you change your mesh out once/reorder new, it will cost you $636 or $678, depending

A set of 10 greenscreen frames, plus mesh, plus the tool, will cost $448. but a restretch, which takes place in your studio in less than 2 minutes, costs $129. So to do the same as above is a total $577.

Do it one more time, it costs you $129 vs $318 for 10 new screens. And maybe 20 minutes.

The convenience, time savings, and ease are what really sets this apart from rollerframes. And they actually have this system for Newmans, with a slick stretcher

Contact me if this is of interest, I can sell you the frames, mesh and stretching tool and have them drop shipped.

They make these in 20x24, 23x31, and 25x36 sizes. mesh from 80 up to 305. the stretcher tool come in 3 sizes.

This week I'll try and get all the components up on my big cartel site, but you can see the steps here:

Squeegeeville — GreenScreen restretchable screen frame 23x31
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.