Gig Posters

Posters: 155690 | Bands: 135552 | Designers: 11510                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Question Water-Based Waterproof Screenprinting Ink?

Hello,

I'm new here, great site! sorry if this is a repeat.

I have a water-based screenprinting setup and I am wondering: which ink is the most waterproof? I need something that can hold up when wheatpasting. My experience with the Speedball acrylic inks has been that the ink blurs and runs when I put up posters. However, I was using wallpaper adhesive as an ink extender at the time.

If i were to use something like Golden Silkscreen Medium would the ink hold up? or am i doomed?

any other tips for water-based waterproof ink would be awesome. maybe there is something i can add to the ink that makes it waterproof?

thanks for any help,
    Peter

Comments

If you find and use a waterproof ink then your going to find it pretty difficult to get the ink off your screen.

I've never tried to wheatpaste any of my prints but i just soaked an off cut of a print in some water and everything stayed in place so I'll go with the fact your using wallpaper adhesive being your problem, i've never used golden silkscreen medium but i'm sure you'll get better results with some real base over wallpaper adhesive

Comments

Nah, a good waterbased ink will not only be waterproof when dry but will easily clean up off your screen. TW graphics WB inks are designed for outdoor adverts so I would give these a try. We have posters printed with TW outside with no ill effcts when rained on. I'm sure Nazdar's WB inks would do the trick as well.
    Last edited by squeegeethree; 06-18-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Premium Member

Comments

check that it's the Acrylic Speedball. the other ink they make runs.(water soluable) Acrylic when it dries is waterproof. You clean it off the screen BEFORE it dries.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Thanks for the responses. so i just tested the inks with all the different bases and it still smears, even without the extender stuff
    and i checked the ink we have- it is the gallon tub of the speedball acrylic ink. The label doesn't say water-soluble, just acrylic.

I think it would stay in place if it was just soaked or rain just dripped down it, but when you wheatpaste you are applying the print with pressure with brushes or your hands to squeeze out the excess paste inbetween the print and whatever it is posted on.

i wonder if the TW graphics WB inks will do the same thing, maybe it will be worth it to order them in. thanks for the suggestion.
    or perhaps i'll try the house paint technique i've seen on these forums, but i'm not looking forward to wrecking my screen.

Premium Member

Comments

I would try applying a matte spray varnish that should seal the ink on the print. . . I was having a similar problem with both speedball and TW and this worked for me. . .

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaznomasters View Post
    i wonder if the TW graphics WB inks will do the same thing.
    No they won't