Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default What about bringing Flatstock to DesignFesta in Tokyo?

In 2010 I've been to Japan to DesignFesta in Tokyo: it is a HUGE arts&crafts event, with usually 250.000/300.000 visitors in two days, and takes place twice a year. It is connected to a residential gallery in city center: it is about any kind of art, including performative arts. It has been a great time for me, japanese audience is lovely: at first when I did get there I wondered how people would notice my little space in such a huge and crowded environment, but it instead it turned out a wonderful experience. also sales turned out good considering that I had my space for one day only.

I wonder how would it be to have a Flatstock block in there =)

here's the link to a report video I made and to some photos so you may have an idea of mood and the place:

gallery

--
    clockwork pictures
    laboratorio di arti visive
    Roma - Italia

http://www.clockwork-pictures.com

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

first barcelona, then tokyo, I like your thinking, fabio...
    some posters | more posters: spiegelsaal | even more: posterkrauts

»You're funny... for a German.« – Crosshair

Premium Member

Comments

I had a very great time being there, and I was on a kamikaze trip. I bet that if the flatstock caravan would move all together we may be able to create a "event within the event", get discount on booth rates, ryokan fares... maybe even partner with the town gallery for a pre-event like it was did in Barcellona? =) and also Tokyo is a very cheap place if you know how to move: cheaper than barcellona!
    --
    clockwork pictures
    laboratorio di arti visive
    Roma - Italia

http://www.clockwork-pictures.com

Premium Member

Comments

Fabio! I love the idea. I've been trying to get a flatstock going in Japan. Really any event there would do. This looks really awesome. I've been thinking it'd be cool to try to set something up with Summer Sonic festival. They have stages in both Tokyo and Osaka and it takes place in August which is well after Hamburg. Just another thought.

ENGLISH | SUMMER SONIC 2012

If you are thinking of getting this Design Festa thing going, I'll be down with helping out in any way I can. I want to definitely be involved with setting something up in Japan.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Clint is learning Japanese and is planning to maybe live there for a while, so I'd hit him up for some help.
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

Comments

remember small sells better than large in Japan (or so I am told)

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    remember small sells better than large in Japan (or so I am told)
    ha! I was just about to post the same thing.

I've heard it over and over.

At on point we were gonna print about 20-30 reprints of large sized posters for Rockin' Jellybean all in a smaller size for him to sell exclusively in Japan.

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks, Billy!

Hey Fabio, are you doing Design Festa this year? It looks like they are sold out of booths this year but I might like to try it out. It actually falls at a time where I was hoping to be there anyways. Maybe I canget on a waitlist or something?

Comments

Yeah, I'm sure that at least 40 API artists can afford the travel, hotel, etc. expenses that an FS in Tokyo would bring. Maybe these factors are why we haven't pursued an NYC FS or others. People, there are far more factors in planning an FS than the very basics.

Premium Member

Comments

of course! I'm really glad you chimed in. That's what we need to hear. If it's not feasible or if people aren't willing to take a loss for something like this then that's the info I intend to find out. Those are the questions I have for our community. Is it even feasible? I don't know. I know there is a LOT more than just "Hey, lets do this", but it's worth investigating right?

Barcelona worked, I just figure it'll never happen if nobody tries or at least asks questions.

However, IF it's feasible and I don't at least try I will never know. So there it is.