Gig Posters

Posters: 155629 | Bands: 135530 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default tracing paper for film?

So I'm looking to do some larger prints soon, and I was wanting to do hand seps. David welker told me that he used one sided frosted mylar for his hand done seps. I'm wanting to go ahead and work on the keyplate today if possible and no where around me has said mylar that I can find. I was thinking of just going to hobby lobby and using tracing paper to get the keyplate on and then scan it incase this idea doesn't work. A Local print making instructor said that they used to use tracing paper and put oil on it to make it translucent. Anyone do this, or have any experience with it?
    "Don't forget to enjoy life"- Phoond

Comments

O M G STFO newb.

Comments

You don't even have to put oil on tracing paper. You just shoot it.
    Part of the problem in looking for these things is that we ignorantly call our films "Mylar" and "Acetate" and they are only ever rarely really mylar and they are never acetate. If you do a search for polycarbonate sheets or polyester-mylar you often have more luck.

Premium Member

Comments

I use paint markers on sheets of acetate. All I've ever used. Super opaque, fast exposure times.

Premium Member

Comments

Most art stores carry it. Some call it frosted Mylar or Frosted acetate- I've see other stores calling it Frosted vellum. the main thing you want is to make sure it has a tooth to hold the pigment. If you have a Utrecht or Dick Blicks they def have it- it's usually in the flat files with the other drawing papers.

Comments

I tried using tracing paper to make seps once- way too flimsy and delicate for my tastes.

Comments

We've used vellum and paint markers, it works pretty good. We haven't tried halftones or super fine detail, but it's great for low and medium detail work. Plain ol' Staedtler, ten or 20 bucks for a roll.

Big images, so I'll link em:
    http://www.milktouch.ca/pinkeye/images/lima1.jpg
    http://www.milktouch.ca/pinkeye/images/lima2.jpg

Also, http://www.gigposters.com/forums/scr...positives.html

Premium Member

Comments

I tried using regular tracing paper before for some larger pieces and I bled my ink cartridge dry in no time.
    Is the nightmare black or are the windows painted?

http://johnkurmis.com

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by B-DROID View Post
    O M G STFO newb.
    i laughed.

try looking for duralar. when i was in school i would draft ink onto "mylar" but it was really duralar or something like that. one side was smooth and one had a little more tooth. you could do an ok job erasing ink off of it, not sure what that would do for color seps though.

this is making me remember my headaches of rapidographs on mylar. that sucked.

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks for the responses- I tried out burning a little bit of a screen to see how it would work before I continue to finish the drawring and so far it seems like it may work pretty well. I'll probably adjust the exposure times a little bit to compensate for the tracing paper being more opaque as apposed to the straight transparencies I've been using- I'll post some flicks of the overall process. Cheers

Also, broid izthefunnie.
    "Don't forget to enjoy life"- Phoond