Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Against she?

Comments

This combined with the recent allegations against John Travolta—I just don't know what to believe in anymore.

Comments

Well, he did write a song about it a while back. Guess he wasn't making shit up.

But really though, Against Me jumped the shark a while ago, and his solo album wasn't any better. Time to start a new band, and I guess identity.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I think it's amazing that she's gone public with this and publications like Rolling Stone are running it. Regardless of the current artistic merit of Against Me! I think it's incredibly brave to be so open about it.

Good luck, Laura Jane.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    I think it's amazing that she's gone public with this and publications like Rolling Stone are running it. Regardless of the current artistic merit of Against Me! I think it's incredibly brave to be so open about it.

Good luck, Laura Jane.
    Agreed. The idea of "gender identity" is pretty foreign to a lot of people and can be a difficult thing to deal with. Hopefully this helps the cause.

Comments

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post

Good luck, Laura Jane.

Premium Member

Comments

to each his/her own, the article didn't say if he was going to turn his penis backwards into a vagina. so is he only going to be a dude taking hormones, or is he going to go the whole 9 yards? i apologize if that seems tastless. also, reinventing axl rose was the only album i gave two cents about. i also wonder if there will be festivals in the future based around transgenders solely, and how they will be? it could be considered the ultimate body mod.

Premium Member

Comments

re reading that i realized that i used transgender wrong.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I don't know if it really matters what she does other than strive for achieving an acceptable form of whatever gender identity she feels she is.

I'm actually not sure if you used "transgender" incorrectly. It's a pretty vague catch-all term to begin with.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt regarding the seemingly tasteless nature of any comments. It can be a challenge to speak clearly on the subject and being innocently flippant about is very easily misconstrued.

Comments

On the subject of gender identity I have great interest in this coming up in a public forum. This is a topic that most people have no understanding of. Whether of not an individual goes through only hormone therapy or has full or partial gender reassignment surgery after hormone therapy that person is the gender that they identify themselves as. It's my understanding that reassignment in any form is a very long process.

My best friend has been in a relationship with a female to male trans person for a couple years. In his case, he has always felt, from a very young age, that he was a boy in a body that he wasn't meant to be in. He didn't date in high school at all to avoid the issue. Then, after moving from the Midwest to the West Coast for college he came out as a lesbian. He identified as such until his late 20s. Finally, he felt like facing his gender identity by coming out to the people he knew and presenting himself as a man in his romantic life. A couple years past and he had his breast removed. This only happened after a few years of psychotherapy (which a certain amount is required before procedures of this kind). After another year he began hormone therapy.

As of now he has no desire to have anymore surgeries in the future. His decisions are strictly personal and are just one example of the trans experience. Everyone is different.

A person's sexual identity is in their brains and doesn't necessarily have to do with what they are on the outside. Our brains control who we are and a good amount of the chemicals that make us who we are physically. However, some times both things don't align properly.