Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135527 | Designers: 11504                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Ink Cartridges for EPSON Stylus Photo 1400

Hello GP
    I know there are many EPSON 1400 owners here. Where do you guys buy your ink cartridges? I've been getting mine from Staples, $30/colour and I think they're expensive. do you know of any online stores that sells good quality ink for the EPSON 1400? what about these guys on ebay epson photo stylus 1400 | eBay

tx!

Comments

I get mine from Office Max, but ask for a student discount. Usually end up paying a few dollars less.

Premium Member

Comments

B&H photo was the cheapest I found. $109 for all six plus free shipping.

Comments

I actually buy mine directly from Epson mostly, around $19 - $22 per cartridge, for the high-capacity cartridges. I hear horror stories about cartridges from non-Epson sellers that gank up the machine and print heads so I'm a bit of a puss and only get them from either Epson online or Office Depot / Office Max for my 1400.

Epson usually has free shipping too, which helps a little more too.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Fry's
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

Premium Member

Comments

I tried non-epson carts for a printer other than my 1400 once. The printer wouldn't even recognize them. After reading reviews of re-manufactured and off brand inks, I only buy the epson inks.

Comments

Are you looking to use this for actual color printing or just positives?

strawberry is correct that some inks, when mixed with the oem inks inside the pipes, will clog things up in there. You can avoid this by flushing out the lines before switching but I think that just means repeated head cleanings on the 1400 and, if I'm not mistaken, these have a waste tank that is not easily replaceable so that might not be the best idear. Note: I'm talking out my ass here somewhat as our 1400 is just a backup for film output in case the 4800 goes down.

These fools make claira compatible 'drop-in' inks and sell auto-chip-resetting refillables if you want the colors:
    Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Inkjet Printer Ink, Cartridges and Refill Kits - Inksupply.com

... but I'm not impressed with the black on film positives. The stock Epson Black looked tighter on microjet film but the better ink that we use on the 4800 is from this fella:

FD Dye Black Ink - Film Direct

We use the refillable setup and FD ink on the main rig and it's pretty great. The idea, if you are in fact just making films here, is you only fill up the heads you want with black and the rest get a pink cleaning solution so they stay open and clean but you aren't wasting spendy black ink every time it runs a head clean.

Hope that helps a little. I've been seriously impressed with the films that the 1400 makes given the price, the fact that you can pick one up just about anywhere and that you can get a replacement plan for so cheap. We got it just as security so we don't have to run to staples or some other big box store in the middle of the workday but it looks like it can rival or at least hold a candle to the higher end epsons regarding positives.

Comments

thanks guys.

i'm using this printer for regular color printing. It's using so much ink. I was thinking of buying a CIS (Continuous Ink System)...

I found this ink cartridge company in my own city a couple of days ago. Epson Stylus Photo 1400 inkjet cartridges | 123InkCartridges.ca Canada
    The generic cartridges are dirt cheap! I ordered all the colors and got them in the mail yesterday. I did a few test prints and the colours came out just as good as the Epson Genuine inks. The black is a little dull though.. so I wouldn't recommend it for printing transparencies.

Comments

I've had a CIS on my 1400 for about 2 years. It's great, but stick to the dye ink. It's a consistent quality and it's about half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Alice Corp View Post
    Hello GP
    I know there are many EPSON 1400 owners here. Where do you guys buy your ink cartridges? I've been getting mine from Staples, $30/colour and I think they're expensive. do you know of any online stores that sells good quality ink for the EPSON 1400? what about these guys on ebay epson photo stylus 1400 | eBay

tx!
    You can find Epson compatible toner cartridges at Toner Store. They easily have the best deals.