Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Semi-Gloss Solvent Based Ink

I am looking for a solvent based Semi-gloss Ink Or Gloss that can be slightly flattened for printing on Black poster stock that will be opaque. I will be doing a Stochastic Simulated process/index sep print. 250-305 mesh count stretched to 25 N/cm. Any suggestions on an Ink that will work without drying in the screen? Inks, additives (retarder options). Any information, advice, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.....I have done a thorough search here, as I am a new member, but haven't found any info yet....I have read that you guys are also using house paint (mainly Latex) I would consider this also, but wish to stick to a solvent based paint, as well. Looking for inexpensive options, but all suggestions will be helpful......Thank You

Premium Member

Comments

1. get process colours and use them to mix with your basic ink colours as much as possible, they will stay open and print fine detail better than regular inks
    2. print it on white paper than print the outer bits black, otherwise you will have trouble keeping the colours bright (printing halftones/stochastic through a high mesh count and trying to make them opaque).
    3. make solvent inks stay open by using retarder paste - sometimes called micro print gel, or sharp printing compound.
    Why solvent? TW makes awesome process WB inks
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Nazdar 59000 enamel ink. It's gloss and super opaque. You can get the matte paste for it but it will go slightly semi-gloss as is sinks into the paper. You won't need a retarder as it takes forever to dry (I usually wait 24 hrs before printing a second pass). If you need it to dry faster than that they make a quick dry version as well.

Andymac.....I am versed in working with solvent based inks and emulsions and don't really want to invest in Waterbased emulsion for the run......I have experience with both and find solvent based inks to be more thixotropic than waterbased inks and I can control dot gain, ink sheer, and squeegee pressure more effectively.... Plus I am gonna be printing on a black or dark blue background... The design will be a highly detailed night scene with fireworks and other fine mist effects, so I dont want to try to create the black background by printing it......Thought about the 59000 series and because of the drying time and the thick nature of enamels and my methods of drying, find that particular ink will not suit my needs......I do have a little time yet to make my determinations, so perhaps more perspectives will come into this thread.

Premium Member

Comments

then go with a general purpose solvent based ink. sounds like you are printing on an auto? for detail we use the retarder gel with the regular ink. It's just that process inks give you that already. but they have little opacity....fucking screenprinting.

Everyone makes them, not just nazdar, but I'm sure that's fine. (I don't know their line code. We use ink teck or some shit.)

WB prints better sharper detail than solvent based IMHO, and I used both extensively. $30 for a bucket of Murikami. whatever, suck fumes, chevies or fords.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Will be printing by hand.....No Automatic presses here; which is one of the reasons I feel more control with the solvent system and my style of hand printing....Being that I am somewhat familiar with NazDar only, as far as flat stock printing (as I do primarily Plastisol printing), I am hoping to save research time and perhaps find endorsements from you guys who can give me the particular names of Ink manufacturers and their particular product line numbers for the kind of inks that I need............No man!!!....Coke or Pepsi.......Thank you for your replies......Respectfully, Omniman

Comments

Index seps, dark stock, and lots of detail.... have fun with that.

Absolutely B-Droid......Thank you for the well wishes...Do it on T-shirts alot and am looking forward to the look on flat stock....This is an ambitious project......Can't wait to get the photo shoot started

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

i print high detail on black flat stock quite often. i have found that i can get the nazdar 59000 series (that and tw water based are what i primarily use) to pop pretty damn good just about 90% of the time. you definitely have boost your colors with some white sometimes which can make color matching a pain. i've also found that mixing in a little flattener will help with opacity, usually one hit with the squeegee and i'm good to go. squeegeethree and andymac are the dudes you want to listen to around here, i've never met either of them in person, but they've taught me about as much if not more than any shop i've worked in.

Comments

Naz Dar 61000 Fast Dry Enamel is less glossy than 59000 series. Properly mixed with the retarder and you get a good non drying in screen run.
    It dries in a fraction of the time as 59000 and is suitable for a variety of surfaces. I use it quite often.