Gig Posters

Posters: 153003 | Bands: 133642 | Designers: 11369                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Screen Printing A Toothy Texture?

He is a link to some toned paper available on dickblick.com

Art Spectrum Colourfix Coated Pastel Paper - BLICK art materials

This is what I what to achieve because at $8 a sheet, i'd rather try and make my own. I am taking a figure drawing class and am experimenting with toned paper and pastel pencils. After asking my professor if there is any toned paper he'd recommend, he said that he would not recommend one over another due to the fact that all toned paper, excluding the link i posted, fades dramatically when exposed to sunlight. He then said he felt like experimenting with a way of screen printing a tone onto a white sheet so that the tone will last longer. Then I remembered I had seen this paper once before.

I need to make the surface have some tooth to it so that the pastel pencils work on it. I dont think a full bleed of plain water based ink will take the pastels too well.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or should I just stfu and pay $8 a sheet?

Premium Member

Comments

$8 a sheet???

The key here is 'experimenting.'
    If you are experimenting, what is wrong with something that may fade? It's not going to hang in the Louvre, right? You're a student. You're experimenting. Use some inexpensive color paper. Who cares if it fades a bit. Fucking experiment and see what happens.

This kind of excessive fussiness over (expensive) materials stifles creativity and experimentation, and it is elitist.
    It is ingrained in students by academia and is one of the main things that makes them fizzle and fail as artists out in the world.
    Now tell your prof that, and give him the finger.

Premium Member

Comments

I think Seripop used the term paper fascists to describe their instructors in University, and held that up as one of their pet peeves with academia.

the whole poster world is up against this because most of the beautiful prints you see here are not done on truly archival (rag, neutral ph) paper. So fucking be it.

I think most WB inks I've seen - Speedball especially- would take pastels nicely. it has a soft chalky texture to it.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

My biggest turn-off in art school was being told what brand of art supplies I needed to buy, and how important it was. I was always scared of 'wasting' stuff.

Comments

The truth is your pastels will fade long before that paper fades. Pastels are some of the least lightfast art materials around.

Premium Member

Comments

but teacher said.....
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    I think Seripop used the term paper fascists to describe their instructors in University, and held that up as one of their pet peeves with academia.
    Yeah this shit pisses me off so much. If you area student , you are learning and fucking around. Permanence should not even figure as a concern. Use cheap materials and use lots of them. The key is making lots of work to figure out what you wanna do and how you wanna do it.

I used 18$ a sheet rag paper for class projects back in the day. What a pisser. Not sure how archival they are in the recycling bin.

Premium Member

Comments

it would make more sense to give printmaking students a one hour course in paper/paper types and all the different types/materials used, and the archival qualities of various materials.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

All this is making want to slap myself for ever buying a 500 series toned paper drawing pad. haha. And i've gone through two of them already.

Thanks guys.

and crosshair, if i told my professor that and gave him the finger, he would never shut up in trying to argue his position on both paper and politics. imo, not worth my troubles.

thanks for the tip on the speedball ink Andy. I might still give this a try on some scrap paper just to see how it works. It would be cool to create some tones that are not readily available.