Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11480                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Homemade Dip Tank

I'm looking at making a dip tank for reclaiming my screens, because I'm lazy AND cheap. I found some videos on youtube and it looks like it's as simple as building a box with some thicker plywood and angle brackets, then coating the hell out of the inside with some resin of some kind. Anyone else try this? Results? Tips? Advice?

I don't use a dip tank but if you wanted to make one, seems to me an easier way to seal a box without fucking around with resin would be to make a box and put tub liner in it, cutting the liner to the inside dimensions of the box and sealing the edges together with marine caulk. The liner is sold at Home Depot, about $7/yard. Very thick matting. As long as you could seal the pieces together it would be watertight.

I know people who use dip tanks rarely actually drain the liquid - so you may want to research if the screen reclaiming chemicals would eat away at the liner, but I think it should be ok.
    Last edited by edwardo_machino; 03-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Premium Member

Comments

That's a great idea, I hadn't even thought of tub lining. I'll have to research that. Anyone know if the chemicals will eat it?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I was thinking about just getting a huge plastic tub from the container store... like the kind you put under your bed for storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Plastic-...104761&sr=8-12

Premium Member

Comments

I thought about that, too, lil-tuffy, but was concerned the chemicals would eat the tub. With the liner or resin though I get it would be ok.

I keep screen reclaimer in a plastic spray bottle and it hasn't eaten through it. I'm unsure of the tub liner though because that may have rubber components, also depending on what type of resin you use it may fail after time as well (not sure). But plastic, I'm pretty sure, will be fine. Reclaimer really isn't very harsh.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I thought about that, too, lil-tuffy, but was concerned the chemicals would eat the tub. With the liner or resin though I get it would be ok.
    You wouldn't want this happening.

Premium Member

Comments

Exactly.

Premium Member

Comments

would using a dip to reclaim help eliminate the ghosting from past prints? A couple of our screens are getting really hard to tell the current burn from about 10 others.
    API Local, Member 025 - Hack For Life!
    http://www.fnharsh.com
    http://fnharshdesign.bigcartel.com/

Hey SkinnyD

In my experience, making your own dip tank results in lots of hard work and can get costly with the wood and other supplies needed. Rarely have I seen one that works the first time with no issues.

Easiway Systems sells small dip tanks that will fit 20 x 24 screens for $175.00. That is the Lazy and Cheap way to do it.