Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135193 | Designers: 11479                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default Importance of Screen Tension

I just got a brand new M&R Saturn PlatinumII. It has become very obvious that screen mesh tension plays a major factor in higher end printing and even in regular everyday simple stuff. I am have issues with art distortion or elongation to be more precise. Ive backed off my squeegee pressure to about 40 pounds just enough to clear the ink out of the screen and still maintain good coverage but still im getting loose mesh distortion. Remedy, I hope, will be to increase my screen tension from 17n/cm2 (static frame) to something in the range of 30 n/cm2 retensionables). Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Premium Member

Comments

Are you sure it's not the paper distorting from the inks you're using?

Also, doesn't it have off contact adjustments on each corner?
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Comments

What type of film positive are you out putting. Laser, inkjet etc,...

-loco

Wow! Lots of big words. Do you have a photo to explain what is happening? While good screen tension is critical to a good print, the mesh would have to be very loose to actually elongate the image. Either your films are distorted or the paper is doing something while the ink is drying. Of course, this is just my 35th post so I basically know nothing.

Comments

This is sounding like it's paper stretch. It's best to always pre-rack your stock overnight so it can have a chance to adjust to the humidity. You may still get a slight stretch [maybe 1/16"] after this but if you have a good trap on each color it'll be fine.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

What Laura said.
    Could also result from using too much lift, too much peel, or too small frames.

Unless he means he's having problems with dot gain, in which case yes it can be caused by loose screens and yes tighter screens will help. Is that what you meant, guy?

Comments

Im using Nazdar 5500 series poster inks, Yes 4 corner off contact, which very likely creating an uneven plane as I havent made any attempt to actually dial it in. No I havent racked my paper. will do from now on. Im using 17" and 24" waterproof roll film from Saati in an Epson 7980 with Ultrachrome. , We just did a registration test from film to film and its very accurate. We printed an exact 1 meter line and actually measured it and that was on the mark as well. So I know my output devise is dialed in.
    Im actually a T shirt printer making the transition to paper so a lot of stuff is new to me but Im excited to make the change. I know theres a learning curve but before too long I plan to be good at it. Thanks for the support ciao reggie
    Last edited by reggiebeck; 02-24-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Comments

Frame size 42x50, as for peal and lift I havent gotten into what these features actually mean to me yet but I have backed the peel setting almost all the way down to 1 out the 5 that it goes up to. I will be printing on only a few different paper sizes mostly standard 130# cover at 12.5x 19 and 26x40 and possibly 19x25. Would you guys recommend single duro squeegee or triple duro? I have only been switching between 70/90/70 and 75/90/75 nothing softer nor have I tried single duro. regardless my squeegees have all recently been replaced so they are sharp as can be. new blade not re-sharpened. thanks again reg

Comments

I will take close up shots and post pics of the problem im talking about but for now here is my first attempt on the new Saturn. I hope the picture uploads http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...k/IMG_0135.jpg

Premium Member

Comments

^ Your pic of your print.

Also, WHAT THE FUCK! THAT'S AMAZING!!!
    Yes. That is me wearing a Borat thong in my avatar.

My Portfolio site-
    www.mrdoyle.com
    My Retail site
    www.nakatomiinc.com