Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default The Music Poster

So I'm an illustration student doing a study (which has yet to receive a title, and really a specific direction...) on the history of the music poster. And I'm kind of falling flat on my face. I've done plenty research into the history of it I guess, but I wanted to have a large section on the music poster of today, how it has changed/evolved with trends, the means of printing it, if it has changed, why? And in what way.

With it being so current I guess I'm finding it hard to find out about, or find someone who can help me... I was wondering if anyone here could any pointers whatsoEVER would be hugely appreciated. Also, I'm from Scotland... Any info on the scottish music poster scene (does that exist? Haha.) would be an added bonus.

A million thankyous... X

Premium Member

Comments

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rock-Poste...7854351&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gig-Posters-I-...ref=pd_sim_b_1

50s - lettterpress
    60s - screenprint
    70s - offset
    80s - xerox
    90s-present - screenprint

Premium Member

Comments

1st step, don't make multiple threads about the same thing.

2nd step, do more research. you obviously haven't done enough.

3rd step, do your own work. You've come to the right place. All of the posters on this site have the date they were submitted, and 99% of them have the date written on the actual poster. Find some from each year and draw your own conclusions.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Comments

GigPosters.com - Spectrum - St Deluxe

silkscreen from the 80's

ask some bands like Duglas from the BMX Bandits for local history he's accessible

Comments

Hi there!
    I'm not from Scotland (although my parents live there), but I am in the UK. If you wanted to ask any questions, I'd be happy to help out. Feel free to drop me an email.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by 40ozGraphics View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rock-Poste...7854351&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gig-Posters-I-...ref=pd_sim_b_1

50s - lettterpress
    60s - screenprint
    70s - offset
    80s - xerox
    90s-present - screenprint
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I will get on those, much appreciated.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Wilson View Post
    1st step, don't make multiple threads about the same thing.

2nd step, do more research. you obviously haven't done enough.

3rd step, do your own work. You've come to the right place. All of the posters on this site have the date they were submitted, and 99% of them have the date written on the actual poster. Find some from each year and draw your own conclusions.
    Ah, this seems a bit mean. I'm sorry I seem to have annoyed you. But in reply to your "steps":

1st step, I apologise for doing so and feel a bit embarrassed, I didn't think one had worked and didn't realise there were now more than one. Its the first time I have used this site and I wasn't sure how to work it.

2nd, I'd rather you didn't make incorrect assumptions on the volume of research I have done. This particularly doesn't sit well with me because I know the extent of my own research and I am pleased with how I am getting on, and Ive been working hard. I am here for a different angle on my project, trying to speak to the people involved and ask their opinion. Not to cheat or make shortcuts.

and to the 3rd, this is the most offensive. I never asked for anyone to do my own work for me. I asked if anyone had pointers on what or who I could look at. Maybe we work in different ways, but if I felt I was knowledgeable on a subject, I would hope people would ask me about that knowledge and would be glad to share it with them. What use is it if you don't. I felt this was a place I might find such people, and that seems to be so. Although your comment has upset me somewhat and I feel a bit disheartened.

I feel that's a big part of research - speaking to people who potentially know the topic firsthand - and that's all I was trying to do. An opinion is an opinion, so thanks for the feedback.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Hi there!
    I'm not from Scotland (although my parents live there), but I am in the UK. If you wanted to ask any questions, I'd be happy to help out. Feel free to drop me an email.
    Thanks very much, I will do just that. Your work looks awesome, it would be lovely to hear your answers to a few questions. I will send an email your way this week incase you get a few minutes to answer. Cheers, Cara.

Premium Member

Comments

In terms of Scottish artists, check out HANDCOOKED POSTERS who are up in Stirling. Lots of UK people on here. We are putting together a directory of most of them at UK Poster Art and this should be online in next couple of weeks. There are also the Screenadelica blog Screenadelica - Blog to look at and Poster Roast too POSTER ROAST
    'Death to Drozd/Long Live Drozd'

www.lukedrozd.com

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Drozd View Post
    In terms of Scottish artists, check out HANDCOOKED POSTERS who are up in Stirling. Lots of UK people on here. We are putting together a directory of most of them at UK Poster Art and this should be online in next couple of weeks. There are also the Screenadelica blog Screenadelica - Blog to look at and Poster Roast too POSTER ROAST

This is ideal, absolutely perfect thanks. I came across Poster Roast just today... Wonderful. I will keep an eye out for this directory, Thanks again. Cara