Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135795 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default How to explain trapping...

Hey guys, this has come up quite a bit over the years- every once in a while, I do print jobs for artists out of my shop, and sometimes an artist has absolutely no idea what trapping is.

Sometimes, these artists have done a bunch of other screenprints, which is surprising. I can only assume that the shops that they normally work with do the trapping for them.

I usually try to explain what trapping is, and how you do it, but I normally get blank stares (virtually speaking). How do you guys communicate this essential part of screenprinting to people?
    Yes. That is me wearing a Borat thong in my avatar.

My Portfolio site-
    www.mrdoyle.com
    My Retail site
    www.nakatomiinc.com

Comments

"unless you want a bunch of ugly white spaces showing the darker inks have to trap the lighter"

Premium Member

Comments

Send them a perfect example of layerd trapped files and use it as an aid to explain the process to them. I use Florian's from his Star Wars Greedo art print as it helps explain trapping, underprinting, and color on color trapping.
    "You don't mumble -- you talk like a hobo on a speed bender!" - tuffy

Premium Member
    Comments

i spent a fair bit of time on the phone with todd slater and rob jones getting schooled in the wonderous ways of trapping - it confused the bejesus out of me - i get it now but unless i am literally running through a very simple version literally in front of their eyes i find it hard to explain to people. mind you i do it in illustrator - most people seem to do it in photoshop. i think todd sent me a broken down version of his jack johnson poster and the penny finally dropped - something that i will forever be indebted for

In the shadow of the Empire State Building
    Comments

Hey Andy, you wanna field this one?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

After years of trying to explain trapping to non-printers, including visual aids, I now explain it as $50/hr, and leave it at that.

Premium Member

Comments

Maybe this is wrong or over-simplifying...screenprinting is a hand process even when done on an auto-press. Trapping gives help and allows for a margin of error in the placement of the sheet of paper each time. the actual trapping is done by extendin one color under another in order to avoid gaps between colors.

Comments

I just make all the traps needed and don't bother explaining. I charge for this but it doesn't take so long.

Comments

Print what they give you.

Fuck'em if they can't trap.

Premium Member

Comments

What? Don't they teach this in design school?

Oh yeah, I forgot. Nobody learns production for print in school, cause (a) print is dead, (b) the teacher doesn't know, (c) the average designer thinks someone else does that. Digitally reproduced media doesn't use trapping, computer based graphics don't use trapping. As these are essentially what anyone is trained for these days, nobody spends time on it.

Luther, Dan and the rest of the printers know unless the designer/artist takes an active interest in the media (screenprinting) their design is being used for, it's like talking to a 4 year old with their crayons. They don't want to know shit, they just want to color. an explanation is in one ear and out the other.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.