Gig Posters

Posters: 154781 | Bands: 134836 | Designers: 11467                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Stop SOPA and PIPA

Take the time to contact you US representatives. It only takes an minute with online letter forms.
    Quick link through wikipedia.
    Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    or enter your zip after the =
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:CongressLookup?zip=
    (as taken from wikipedia)
    Why?
    SOPA and PIPA put the burden on website owners to police user-contributed material and call for the unnecessary blocking of entire sites. Small sites won't have sufficient resources to defend themselves. Big media companies may seek to cut off funding sources for their foreign competitors, even if copyright isn't being infringed. Foreign sites will be blacklisted, which means they won't show up in major search engines. SOPA and PIPA build a framework for future restrictions and suppression.

In a world in which politicians regulate the Internet based on the influence of big money, Wikipedia — and sites like it — cannot survive.

Congress says it's trying to protect the rights of copyright owners, but the "cure" that SOPA and PIPA represent is worse than the disease. SOPA and PIPA are not the answer: they will fatally damage the free and open Internet.

Comments

Droopy does his best job of explaining the justifications and saying we should relax and be free like China.
    Meanwhile the guy interviewing him just giggles and eats it up.

He plays the threat/fear card, but this isn't just about cyber-attacks from foreign nations or Anonymous goofballs. The vast majority of the networks he names are closed and could only be hacked from a direct terminal. For example, STUXNET required physical delivery via a flash drive or other means into the network. Killing the internet to the general public in Iran didn't do a thing to stop its spread amongst government facilities—merely the spread of news of its success.

In terms of how current intellectual property legislation is interpreted, coupled with the blatant and persistent nature of bootleggers—SOPA/PIPA would allow for the actions of Eichelbergers or celebrity art print homagers to result in GP being shuttered.

A poster gets done outside of the full approval route and the label of one of the other bands takes issue with someone having a classified. Report filed. Site blocked until an investigation can take place. Meaning Clay and the Mods would have to check the legitimacy and content of each and every listing, comment, post, link, etc.

It could also force sites like Etsy and eBay to pull or restrict listings that they think may run the risk of having the G-Men come down on them. EBeans could maybe even. That's the trick with this junk—far reaching and grey in implementation, but with definite black and white consequences for sites and users.

Because Freedumb isn't free.

Comments

Google has a nice and easy little page too for signing a petition and spreading the word.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Disgusting. All in the name of anti-piracy? Please. Utter BS.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryluna View Post
    Google has a nice and easy little page too for signing a petition and spreading the word.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Disgusting. All in the name of anti-piracy? Please. Utter BS.

I signed the petition. Thanks for the link.

Comments

This video explains that there are already protections in place for everything the bill's sponsors are concerned about. SOPA is nothing more than an extension of free "rigged" market principles, allowing them to stifle competition by limiting news and entertainment to a select few sources.

Premium Member

Comments

Somebody blocks my Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert feeds already. and my Canucks hockey games if I'm in the USA. I have felt the pain.

But c'mon you guys....it has taken them this long to figure out how to send an email or 'tweet', they have seen the damage it can do to politicians who get caught showing their junk, they know the danger of a public with unfettered access to unauthorized versions of news not served up by Fox/TV.

Why is this a surprise they would shut this shit down at the behest of their corporate masters. It's all about control and maximizing profit in the pockets of a select few. The interwebz is just a little too free to regular people. it must be controlled and metered. We have seen it with every other media - newspapers, comix, radio, TV, movies, cartoons, books, records, CDs, etc etc etc. Every single one has had controls and censors attached. the web is no different, and it scares the shit out of them, because the means of production (of content or message) is within the power of individuals.

Good luck with it.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    This video explains that there are already protections in place for everything the bill's sponsors are concerned about. SOPA is nothing more than an extension of free "rigged" market principles, allowing them to stifle competition by limiting news and entertainment to a select few sources.

Nice video. This should help my old ass relatives on facebook know that everyone's not miss-typing "Soap" today.
    "Don't forget to enjoy life"- Phoond

Comments

I actually received a response—in the loosest sense—that appears to be a fine example of good old Made In The USA boilerplate non-committal politician neck speak from a stiff no one I know voted for, but somehow managed to win.

No original thoughts. In the end, this rube will just go with whoever is winning.

Dear Mr. Hrabovsky:

Thank you for contacting me regarding intellectual property theft. I appreciate hearing from you and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

S.968, the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property (PROTECT IP) Act of 2011, was introduced by Senator Leahy (D-VT) on May 12, 2011, and was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. On May 26, 2011, it was reported out of Committee and is currently pending in the Senate. The bill targets websites, particularly those registered outside of the United States, which are "dedicated to infringing activities." These rogue websites typically offer unauthorized downloading or streaming of copyrighted content or the sale of counterfeit goods including music, movies, and pharmaceutical drugs.

Websites targeted by this bill are foreign owned and outside the reach of U.S. laws despite the fact U.S. intellectual property is being infringed upon and U.S. consumers are the targets. Rogue websites cost American workers jobs and cost businesses millions of dollars in lost revenue. As online technology and commerce advances, we must see to it that injured parties have the ability to stop infringers from profiting from counterfeit products. For example, a victim of infringement will have the authority to file a civil action against the owner or registrant of a rogue site. If an order is granted by the court, third parties will be required to stop processing payments from the infringing sites, therefore, preventing infringers from collecting payments. I will work to ensure that our laws our modernized to protect intellectual property, and will keep your thoughts on this bill in mind should it come before the Senate for a vote.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at Johnny Isakson, US Senator for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
    Johnny Isakson
    United States Senator

Comments

Not surprising that your senator focuses on the "foreign" website element but ignores the glaring intent of the bill.

"a corporation can send an infringement claim to the people who keep the site online, the payment processors and hosts and they’d have 5 days to take the site offline, that’s not enough time to investigate whether or not the claim is legitimate and definitely not enough time for the site’s owners to fight it. The service providers are given legal immunity so (sic) can’t be sued for pulling a site falsely with no investigation, regardless of how much money the people who depend on the site for their livelihoods lost so there’s no incentive for them to investigate the complaint at all and all this can be done without the involvement of a judge or anyone being found guilty of an actual crime." -from a story on the wiki blackout.

If SOPA and Protect IP are about "foreign" infringing sites costing jobs, why the legal loopholes of immunity for false infringement claims?

Premium Member

Comments

"Don't forget to enjoy life"- Phoond