Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Help with separating this drawing

Hi,

I've been reading the forums for awhile and learning a lot about screenprinting. I feel confident in separating spot colors in Illustrator and now I am ready to move on to the next level. In all of the reading I've done, I haven't figured out the best way to approach the seps for a color drawing. I can do it in illustrator using the trace feature but I don't like all the Illustrator-ish shapes. I am assuming I should do the seps for the attached drawing in Photoshop but I don't know how to do it. I'd like to print this using 3-5 colors and halftones of those colors.
    Any ideas or suggestions as to the best approach?

Comments

Hire somebody.

Premium Member

Comments

I want to add that I don't want the screenprint to look just like the drawing. The screenprint will have a much more graphic look to it. It will be obvious I used only a few colors. I'd really like to learn to do the seps myself.

Premium Member

Comments

You could use the Select>Color Range method in PS. I will be honest though, it'll probably suck. Good luck pulling it off without at least 8 colors or 4 color process.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Make a black keyline and hand-cut rubylith for a dark grey underbase and transparent sky/pavement blue, green, orange, and red overlays.

Seriously, if you really want to learn how to do the seps, that's the place to start.

Comments

or just go for the gold and do it like crosshair
    http://www.gigposters.com/forums/pro...own-g1988.html

Premium Member

Comments

Hire somebody
    Listen to this advice. I'd suggest you look up this "Goodtimes" character and hire him.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Premium Member

Comments

If you want to silkscreen a line art drawing w/ color, you really should just do the lineart and scan that first, and then start laying in the colors in photoshop (or by rubylith if you're a crazy person, also known as a more patient person than I). You could probably print something close to that with 6 colors, but there are easier prints to start with.

I would do...
    1- light green for the trees and grass and tree trunks
    2- blue for the sky and canoes, and to overlay the leaves in the trees to make it a dark green
    3- red for the house and roof, and overlay it in the dark green in the trunk of the trees to make that a brown
    4- process yellow to overlay the house an orange, and to put grassy texture in the grass, picking out highlights and stuff in the roof as well.
    5- trans black to put on shadows and more detailing in grass, rocks, modelling in the canoes, etc, etc.
    6- black for the lineart.

But that's me. I'd also go into and pick out highlights here and there, but you'd probably need a steady mouse-hand, or a wacom to pull those lines out.

This would be a lot, lot easier if you started with just lineart- as it is now, you'll have to scan it and pick it out from the colors.
    Yes. That is me wearing a Borat thong in my avatar.

My Portfolio site-
    www.mrdoyle.com
    My Retail site
    www.nakatomiinc.com

Premium Member

Comments

Hey all - thank you for your input. I guess I was thinking I could rely on photoshop's cutout filter or something of that sort to breakdown the colors for me. I guess shortcuts never really work like we want them to though.
    I'm down for scanning in the line art and re-figuring the color for a screen print.
    Alex - thanks for the breakdown in the process you might follow. It's totally helpful.
    That 17-color process print Josh linked to is amazing!!
    Thanks again.

Comments

yeah... That's why they call it an "art." Only crazy people or artists have the patience for it.