Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: Newbie Advice

Premium Member

Comments

Default Newbie Advice

Hey guys, I'm a newly registered member of the forum but have been lurking for a couple of years and I need a little advice if you guys are so willing.

I started out doing flyers for my band a few years ago, since then I've been working on my skills and have branched out into doing flyers for a couple of other local bands but they've always been digital prints. There are a couple of my favorite small indie bands coming through town early next year and I would love to do some screen printed posters for them.

After searching the threads I've found that the best way to approach this would probably be to contact the bands directly. Their websites list general managers and booking agents as well as the tour manager. Who would be the best one to contact or should I send emails to everyone? I just don't want to seem spamy or like a total fanboy. Also, how should I word it so as not to sound totally unprofessional/noob. If I receive no reply, how long should I wait to send a follow up email?

Thanks

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by regularjohndesign View Post
    I just don't want to seem spamy or like a total fanboy.
    See, that's the trick isn't it; because truthfully, it is, and you are. I don't mean that as an insult at all. In this case the impulse to make the poster is an act of fanhood. And there is nothing wrong with that. Just understand that it's you who want your art and self associated with the band, not the other way round. They don't need you.

It seems to me that you are going about getting into making posters exactly the right way, that is, making art & fliers for your own band and bands in your scene. But it is a big leap to go from that to cold-calling your favorite bands and expecting anything to come from it. If you can pull it off, great. People certainly have. There isn't really a right or wrong way to present yourself, except to be as truthful and direct as possible and not to try representing yourself as something you are not.

Your energy might be better spent expanding and developing your ability to produce posters beyond digital print into silkscreen, letterpress, or other media with more object appeal, as you continue participating in your music scene as a fan, as a musician, and as a rock artist. It will be pretty hard to sell anyone on screenprints if you don't have any to show.

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks, that's probably the best advice I've gotten in a long time, I really appreciate it.

Premium Member

Comments

That's why Dan rules.
    Last edited by James flames; 11-22-2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Oh yeah and that freaking 17-color print is the other reason why Dan rules.

Premium Member

Comments

Dan has done this a lot longer than me and know way more than I ever will (about screenprinting and most other things).

That being said, everyone I know that's in a band is also a screenprinter or graphic designer. I've done the cold call before and it worked. I've always dealt with the artist directly and they've copied in tour managers. So try what you can. I did have an art print that I did to show the artist what I meant by screenprinting. Dan's right, that helped a lot.

Premium Member

Comments

Maybe get your screenprinting operation going before you start promising any jobs. Do some screened posters for your own band first. Though there is nothing like a deadline to accelerate the learning curve.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Yeah, you might want to experiment first to make sure you can pull it off before getting into a deadline commitment with a known band. There are variables that will pop up that might cause you to miss that deadline.

Great advice Dan.
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

i don't mean to hijack this thread but i'm almost in the same position. some very small indie are rolling through town in late january and i totally want to some promotional stuff for them. i've never done screenprinting before nor have the means to do so, but i do flyers and artwork for local bands. the thing is is that i don't want money, i just want to support the scene and the promo stuff is horrible e.g. bad promo shot with 10 different types and lots of glow effect and beveled things. sooo....

Quote Originally Posted by regularjohndesign View Post
    Who would be the best one to contact or should I send emails to everyone? I just don't want to seem spamy or like a total fanboy. Also, how should I word it so as not to sound totally unprofessional/noob. If I receive no reply, how long should I wait to send a follow up email?

Premium Member

Comments

support this scene first: don't work for free. get paid for your desigs so bands understand they need to pay for the service of poster design. otherwise they go to people who work for free and use bad promo shot with 10 different types of glow effect and beveled things. this is especially true if the band is selling the posters for merch.

Comments

Wu Tang