Gig Posters

Posters: 154807 | Bands: 134843 | Designers: 11467                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Open City process- Crosshair 17-color art print for Devil Town at G1988

I've got to hand it to Daniel Danger- he put together a great brief for this Devil Town show he has curated for Gallery 1988 in LA. It inspired me to hunker down do something I've wanted to do for a couple of years now, i.e., this print.

The process was long and I didn't always have the presence of mind to grab the camera, so there are some major gaps. Bear with me.

The first color is a very heavy coverage of very light blue. Basically it covers the whole print area except for some areas in the center which will be printed over later, and some highlights and wispy clouds in the lower left corner of the sky.

This color, and the next three, are mainly transparent base adding incremental amounts of RS and GS blue. The first one is more than 99% clear base.

Second color printing:

The ink looks dark on the screen, but it still prints light because it's mostly clear base.

Cleaning up 2nd color. Squeegee is removed but the floodbar is still on there.

First two colors down. Fifteen to go.

Comments

YES! Can't wait to see this all come together. So glad you're doing a process thread out of it. This is going to be amazing…

…how is the Coconut LaCroix working out for you?

Premium Member

Comments

Very cool. Thanks for sharing Dan.
    I always want to feel this way! —Sean Higgins
    the bubble process

Comments

Ohhhh boy, this should be wicked.

Premium Member

Comments

OK first big gap... I don't have any pics of printing colors 3-5. The next two (3 and 4) are just the same bucket of clear base adding small amounts of those two TW blues, which overprint the previous colors in a pure reduction process. No overprint trickery at all. The desired effect is a bright blue sky, lighter toward the horizon, with a couple subtle hints of cirrus clouds in the distance.

I could have tried to do this with a split fountain. But I hate printing split fountains. I hate it so much that I would rather print four blues, than one split fountain. And, I don't think even a successful split would have looked right on this print, because the nature of the gradient is more lenticular than linear, with the sun out of the frame at left. So the challenge was to print 4 successive layers of vary fine random (i.e., stochastic) dot patterns (>180 dpi) without any dot gain, to simulate a perfectly smooth gradient. Dot gain causes neighboring dots to fuse, creating horrible moires when printing halftones, or splotches and stepping with a random dot.

To eliminate dot gain I got all my screens re-stretched, so they would be super tight. I also got new 70-90-70 rubber for the squeegee. It worked out well and the annoying dot gain that has been driving me nuts for months is gone. Moral of the story: make sure your screens are tight.

Anyway, here is the #5 screen drying. It is a medium lavender blue, for shadows.

Here they are, stacked with five colors down and awaiting the sixth.

Sixth color is a big muddy gray-brown universal underbase. In the finished print it peeks through mainly in the darker walls and in some texture in the foreground and trees, but about 90% of it is printed over by other colors.

Nicole on press op, color 6:

Last edited by crosshair; 11-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Premium Member

Comments

I'm going to cut away to be a geek for a sec and pass along the news that Codeine is reuniting... definitely one of my 5 fave bands of all time. Deluxe reissues coming, as well as ATP and supposedly some US dates. Stoked.

Codeine reunites, announces reissues « Consequence of Sound

Premium Member

Comments

One more nonsequitir...

The Illinois Scrap & Grease truck just pulled up outside my office window, to collect waste from the meatpacking plant next door.
    It's basically a big dump truck full of a sloshing festering mass of pig guts. And it is all the way gnarly. Check it out.

Premium Member

Comments

Oh my, that truck of meat guts makes me want to vomit. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the print though.

Premium Member

Comments

Shit is about to get real. And in the case of that dump truck, real gross.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Comments

17 Color print, Codeine re-issues and a truck full of rotten meat. This thread has everything, including my undivided attention.