Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135336 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default My first screen print - a process thread.

Thanks to the generosity of Justin (aka Angryblue) for providing the Crackhead Press facilities, I printed my first poster yesterday. This is probably more a pictorial account than a true process thread, but whatever. Let the visual assault begin:

After completing the layout I dropped by Justin's 'studio' (aka basement) for help finalizing the seps. Luckily my trapping wasn't horrible so he didn't have too much to clean up. Once the files are ready for output, we walk a couple houses over to Jeral Tidwell's super rad garage studio to print the films.

Dudes.

Films printing while Tidwell scans in some wizardry he just finished drawing.

While waiting for the films to print I glance down at one of the drawing tables I'm sitting at and notice this bleeding sharpie sketch by Baseman amid the stains and scribbles. No big deal.

After the films are done we head over to Crackhead Press proper. Screen #1 burning:

Color #1, red:

Color #1 racked:

Preparing second film to burn:

That's not an optical illusion, that screen really is almost as tall as Justin; or Justin really is as short as that screen:

Registration set, ready to print color #2, black:

Action shot:

I missed the obligatory beer photo closeup. This is as close as it gets. Beer on the shelf with the tubes.

Justin racking prints for me:

The finished prints:

Washout and reclaiming:

Final print is 18"x24" with a print area of about 16x22". Edition of 70. If anyone by chance is interested in one I'll have a classified up soon.

Premium Member

Comments

It's not too late to turn back. You don't HAVE to do this.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustRickG View Post
    It's not too late to turn back. You don't HAVE to do this.
    Ha. I was going to say it's way too late. He knows too much to turn back now.

Thanks for sharing.

Premium Member

Comments

looks great
    API Local, Member 025 - Hack For Life!
    http://www.fnharsh.com
    http://fnharshdesign.bigcartel.com/

Premium Member

Comments

that rules! Thanks for documenting that and sharing it. I had the opportunity to meet Justin and Jeral last time I was in Seattle for Flatstock, nicest dudes ever. I am envious of their workspaces.

Premium Member

Comments

For crackheads, they seem like real nice people.

And re 'the first print', I sure hope you didn't get any ink on your skin - it's almost always fatal. Expect a long slow lingering death by small strokes. What seems so easy and fun when you start will drag you down into madness.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Expect a long slow lingering death by small strokes. What seems so easy and fun when you start will drag you down into madness.
    Andy, are you talking about screenprinting or masturbation?

Is there a difference?
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Premium Member

Comments

In your case Rick, the results are pretty much the same - a sticky liquid squirting out everywhere.

Wait, that's a giclee....
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Yeah baby, I'm gonna giclee all over my 120 GSM sheets.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

Comments

Thanks for the warning guys, but I don't intend on making a career of it. After helping Justin print several times, he offered to help me print something when I was ready to give it a try. Some friends were playing a show this week so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity. I definitely want to print more stuff, but luckily I have Justin's experience to call upon if I need help.