Gig Posters

Posters: 154781 | Bands: 134793 | Designers: 11465                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NazDar 9700 on Matte cardstock - catalyst needed?

hi,
    i am new in general to paper printing. i am a textile printer but i am learning fast thanks to people here.

i am printing on black MATTE finish cardstock. 12" LP jackets to be exact. of course acrylic [speedball] will not stick to them, neither will nazdar 9700 right now at least.

i am switching to the proper emulsion [chromaline ACE] from a terrible plastisol only Polycol one coat.

i need to know wether or not the addition of nazdars nb72 catalyst will get this ink to hold on the matte finish.
    if not, what will? are there any other suggested catalysts? the data sheet for 9700 suggests a catalyst for "polycoated" cardstcok. also, how bad is the "yellowing" factor with nb72?

i am extremely fresh to 9700 printing. i love the way it looks, it just wont hold. any sugestions anyone?
    thanks in advance, someone set me straight here!

Comments

Why are you printing with solvent inks when you have the chance to use WB? Is it because you are running these through your drier in stead of using racks? If you are worried about the yellowing of NB 70 then use NB 80 instead.

Premium Member

Comments

that's weird that you're having trouble with it sticking to a matte finish paper. ugh i just went and bought some nazdar white and peacock blue, their prices have literally gone up 40%.

Premium Member
    Comments

Weird that it doesn't stick to cardstock, it sticks to all sorts of things. Where did you get the covers?

Comments

I have printed on gloss coated, matte coated and uncoated card with no problems with 9700, even with lots of overprinting and heavy ink deposits. Very strange problem.

i got the matte finish jackets from Dorado Packaging.

i was originally in a colder area of my shop using this, lower than the 65 degree suggested climate. i tested in the appropriate climate as well, with no luck either. i did put the 9700 on uncoated chipboard [even in the cold] with the test image, and it is impenetrable and permanent.

i talked to nazdar today and they said nb 72 should work. i will try nb 80 if that will avoid any risk of discoloration and work with 9700.

what WB inks would possibly work for this, would they be easier to use than 9700 with catalyst? of course the acrylic i tried did not work.

i am COMPLETELY new to this and have a large project, any all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

i am looking into chromaline ACE emulsion, autotype plus 800, and other emulsions that will stand up to WB, solvent, and plastisol, what i have now is not cutting it.

EDIT: would age of ink be a factor
    Last edited by 5traight; 11-10-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Why are you printing with solvent inks when you have the chance to use WB? Is it because you are running these through your drier in stead of using racks? If you are worried about the yellowing of NB 70 then use NB 80 instead.
    and no i am just air drying

Premium Member
    Comments

If 9700 won't stick, I can't imagine that there's a waterbased that would stick (Nazdar 2700 is their 'industrial' WB ink)

Only thing I can think is there's a matte UV coating on the paper, which won't accept anything other than UV inks . . or maybe enamel or something.

Comments

I think they might have plastic coating as well. I would just use TW graphics WB ink and call it a day.

Comments

weird. I've gotten 9700 to stick to basically any kind of paper, plastic, or vinyl.

on a side note, I'm selling a bunch of 9700 really cheap if anyone in portland wants it all. love the way it prints but done with the smell.