Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135806 | Designers: 11531                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Advice on TW ink

I'm interested in trying out TW ink for the first time, and just wondering if anybody with experience using it has any advice in terms of additives and opacity.

I want to print the Fire Red over the Halftone Cyan on French Pop Tone Whip Cream. I need the red to be opaque enough to cover up the cyan. I've read that a lot of you are mixing the inks with the clear base before printing. So I'm wondering what percentage (preferably % by volume) would you recommend adding to each ink for a print like this? Are the inks opaque enough to block one another out when you use them straight out of the bucket, and do they maintain opacity when you add the clear base?

Thanks much,
    Whitney

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

If you have the red overlaying the cyan and you want it opaque, you will need to print a white underbase.
    There is nothing you can add that will 'opaquen' the red enough to completely eliminate the overprint effect over cyan. Clear base will only make it worse. Mixing in white will add opacity, and could be an option depending on what you want, but it will change the color and make it chalkier

It would make more sense to strike the cyan out completely where the red overlays it, if the design allows for that.
    If you don't want overlay effects, don't overlay.

Comments

I agree with the above post and endorse it heartedly. Knock out the cyan with a slight trap.

Premium Member

Comments

I would knock the cyan out with an uppercut to the jaw, after I told it to check out the halftones on that magenta. While it was admiring the hottie, kapow!
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    If you have the red overlaying the cyan and you want it opaque, you will need to print a white underbase.
    There is nothing you can add that will 'opaquen' the red enough to completely eliminate the overprint effect over cyan. Clear base will only make it worse. Mixing in white will add opacity, and could be an option depending on what you want, but it will change the color and make it chalkier

It would make more sense to strike the cyan out completely where the red overlays it, if the design allows for that.
    If you don't want overlay effects, don't overlay.
    I just told burwell the same exact thing about a blue overprinting orange and gold.

Comments

Thanks for the tips. This is the design I'm working with. I'm actually a textile printer, and have done posters up until now using waterbased textile ink... some transparent and some opaque, so I was hoping it might be possible to overprint with TW without seeing the first color showing through. On a print like this would you try to knock out all the tiny little halftone spots of red? I feel like putting even a minimal trap on them would just fill the knocked out space back in. Would you just knock out the cyan, trap it, and let the tiny halftones just have the overprint look?

As far as how the ink prints, with these colors do most of you just use them straight out of the bucket or would you suggest adding the clear base if I knock out the cyan?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for the advice.

-Whitney

Comments

I would suggest you buy some neon red to go with you fire red