Gig Posters

Posters: 154911 | Bands: 135050 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Guy Burwell x 112 Printworks process

Hello, friends!

This Friday, October 7, we at 112 Printworks are proud to present a Guy Burwell retrospective for your eyeholes. As we like to do, we're going to be showing a ton of his work and running a custom print, available at the opening. It's shaping up to be a 7-color print (maybe more), including at least one split fountain and possibly a spot varnish.

Let's start with Guy's working style - in his own words (with snarky commentary possibly provided by me).

"Colored pencils and the early ideas. This piece started out as a band print concept that wasn't exactly what they were looking for but it felt good, so I saved it from sketchbook purgatory and took it in a slightly different direction"

To me this is always the most interesting part of process threads. I tend to think less in fully-formed visuals and more in ideas (which I have to back art into). Seeing a master like Mr. Burwell rock something like this outta the park just noodling... I love it.

"Doodle, noodle, marking out the larger shapes with sharpies and colored pencils, fine liners and pencils."

Maybe I'm coming across as a fanboy (well, I am quite a fan of Guy's work) but to see this kind of rough and then see how clean his finals are just blows my mind.

"Various drafts are lined out, various areas are detailed, treatments are considered and abandoned, themes used or disused or distilled."

"Blue prints save all the rough drafts into expandable and flexible layouts that can be built upon and compartmentalized."

A couple openings back we did a custom print for this fine artist Steve Roumas, who wanted a 6-color print, all various shades of grey + glow in the dark. Not being a computer guy at all, Steve drew each layer on acetate with india ink. That ability to think about what you'll be able to make of things in the future and how they'll all line up and work together later impresses the hell out of me.

"Scaled and comparative drafts give the idea of the bigger picture as we go along."

Again, this is what sets a professional apart.

"After all of the steps above, the final layout and composition is fairly evident, at least mentally. There are actually five to ten pencil drafts made at this stage of the process."

"More compositing and real decisions are made concrete at different times. At some point a fellow has to start sticking to decisions."
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Premium Member

Comments

So that's how we got to the about-to-start-printing phase. I think it's worth sharing some of Guy's prepress instructions and our conversations from before we got started on printing. I'll post that stuff tomorrow; it's refreshing to work with an artist who knows not only how to trap, but where the challenging butt-register points will be. Also, the split fountain in this thing is nutty - you've gotta see it.

More tomorrow, as ink starts to hit paper.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Comments

Guy is a clever chap. I look forward to seeing more.
    "One day we'll all laugh about it as we try to warm ourselves around a barrel of burning posters, equals once more." - Crosshair

Army of Cats Design

Premium Member

Comments

Five sticky, swollen stars... Guy makes me sick... awesome

Premium Member

Comments

I love this thread, can't wait to see this printing process
    Blog:

http://dangrzecaart.blogspot.com

Printzzz:
    http://www.groundup.bigcartel.com

"brownies are in the oven and my heart is filled with doom."- DWITT

Premium Member

Comments

Guy, you're damn awesome.

Premium Member

Comments

Can't wait to see this in person.

Comments

I loves me some Burwell

Premium Member

Comments

Being 'THAT guy' takes on a new meaning.

This is very instructive, Burwell really is insane.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

rad