Gig Posters

Posters: 156064 | Bands: 135791 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Registration - Hairline Precision

Hey guys,

I haven't done much work with registration. Any tips on how I could print this piece with utmost precision would be greatly appreciated. I have a vacuum table and I'm pretty consistent when printing, but I'm wondering if I would benefit from trapping some of these layers (or something else) during my prepress for this print.

What about printing everything as opaque white, then printing the 2 extra colours as transparent colours on top of the white?

NEED TO MENTION: I'M PRINTING ON BLACK STOCK

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Xanthene; 09-06-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Comments

Aren't you going to have to do a white base for the colors anyways, since you're printing on black stock? Definitely trap, unless you want that black and/or white peeking through.

the best thing is to start off by using some pretty thick paper, like 160#/290gms, lighter than that and the paper tends shrink and buckle. You can also pre-rack it before you print, this way it adjusts to the climate where you are printing...rather than printing the white underbase, you could think of double printing the colors... lot of work but easier than the white...well at least for me

Comments

Yes, prerack. Yes, Trap. Maybe seal the whole paper with white (or clear base) first (it'll help if your budget will allow)

Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure I was approaching it the right way. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comments

It's pretty well impossible to register hairline with hinge-clamps printing by hand. I would count on at least one point of variation between colours from play in the clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by paul204 View Post
    It's pretty well impossible to register hairline with hinge-clamps printing by hand. I would count on at least one point of variation between colours from play in the clamps.
    Can this not be minimized by clamping blocks to the table for the frame to fall into?

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo_machino View Post
    Can this not be minimized by clamping blocks to the table for the frame to fall into?
    Yes it can

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Yes, prerack. Yes, Trap. Maybe seal the whole paper with white (or clear base) first (it'll help if your budget will allow)
    What do you mean by sealing the whole paper?

Comments

I mean print as much of the paper as possible with a giant flat of ink.