Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11480                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: Bitmap help

Comments

Default Bitmap help

Hello GP! I lurk and learn from this inspiring forum. I'm having bit map issues and thought I would ask here(hopefully right section). Could someone please tell me the best steps in photoshop to get an image like this into bitmap for printing on a poster? I've tried different lpi and angle and none of it seems to look like what I want. The darks end up being too scattered instead of remaining totally black where they should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Jeffo; 09-02-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Comments

This is the look I'm trying to get...

Premium Member

Comments

go premium and all shall be answered.

until then, wait for Steve to ask you what your favorite cheese is...

Comments
    Items for Sale

Instead of directly answering your question, I will merely state the obvious:

1. If you want parts of the photo darker, make them darker.
    2. If you want parts of the photo brighter and more blown-out, do that too.
    3. Combine the best bits of both.

You're looking for a one-click solution, and then you're not happy with the results. It's because it requires more than one step. It requires patience and experimentation and process.

Premium Member

Comments

try adjusting the light/dark levels in the curves option while your image is still a greyscale, then convert to bitmap of choice. as standard points out, it'll probably be a matter of repeating it over and over until you like what you get.

Comments

Thanks guys. I actually thought of that after asking here. I was looking at the photo thinking "well, what's the obvious solution here?". What I did was select the black at about 50% so I got just the amount I wanted. Saved that selection as a layer to the side. Then I got a bitmap of the whole thing and used that as an underlayer. When I pasted the un-bitmapped black layer over it it gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Comments

I loath the "go premium" and someone will answer you shite. For example, I didn't re-up my premium membership because I have issues with some of PayPal's practices. Plus (as it's been stated), just being on this site is helping support it.

I would have suggested combining the halftone output with a threshold to flesh out the blacks.