Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Painting on Denim (for band banner)

Hi All.

My band has a large BLACK sheet of denim.. We're going to make a banner out of it. Its about 10 feet long by 5 feet high.

We're going to tape off our logo with painters tape, then paint the logo on.

We're trying to figure out the best "paint" to use. The paint needs to show up bright and adhere well to the fabric once dry. Also not crack or shrink on the fabric. Once it's finished, we'll be rolling the banner up around some sort of tube, versus folding it up. We want our logo to be RED on the black, and will probably put a white outline around it. At this point, I'm thinking Plastisol is the best way to go, but if there's any other opinions here, I'd love to hear them.

Should we do a white base coat first, so the red will show up better??

Also, any gotchas, or other things we should consider would be great.

THANKS!!!!

\m/ JOE THRASHER - Old School Fueled Heavy Metal \m/

Comments

Just use some acrylic artist paints. yes you want want to put down some white first.

Premium Member

Comments

Acrylic on fabric works great and is permanent and durable. Undercoat with white or your colors will be dark and muddy.

awesome. thanks guys. and just so I'm clear, by Acrylic paint - you guys are talking about the same type of paint a painter would use on a canvas ?

no concerns of that paint cracking, if it get's moved around a lot ?

Comments

Yes that stuff, and no to cracking. If your image is simple you should get somebody or somebody's mom to applique some nice red fabric instead.

Premium Member

Comments

i just did a big canvas and used housepaint. the canvas was painters dropcloth too. home depot art projects rule!

I just posted a picture of Stage1 of the banner.. it's all taped off ready for paint!!! Joe Thrasher | Facebook

Comments

Dude, I think it looks cool just like that. Screw painting it red, keep it like that!