Gig Posters

Posters: 154781 | Bands: 134823 | Designers: 11465                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Premium Member

Comments

I'm digging the hand done typo, good balance between messy and crisp.

Comments

Thank you originally it was going to do it all by hand but I was taking too long. It worked pretty well in the end.

I've finished another poster today for the same promoter. This one came together really quickly. The brief was, apart from the text, to be as grim as possible, which isn't usually my forte but I think I pulled it off.

Comments

Finished my third poster. I'm very pleased with how this one went. Not as quick as number 2 but much less - almost nothing - needed doing on photoshop, which is still something I'm avoiding becoming reliant upon.

Critique very much sought after

Comments

No critique is good critique? I guess I'm on to a good thing then, technically. Even if not, I think I'm getting in to the swing of things and I'm certainly enjoying it. I've done another two since then, they're here from my tumblr:

Ladies pinch, whores use rouge.

Comments

Feels as though I've been much busier than I actually have That's what comes of full-time employment, kids!

All srsnss, I wring every minute of spare time I can out of the day and yet I still don't seem to have the time to draw for myself, which I acutely realise would help my illustration no end. The only time I seem to have to draw is the time I can get when I have a commission. Also doesn't feel too good when one of your commissions is super secret and has to be sat on for a long time. Never mind, I have had two since my last post, which are here.

First is a gig poster that I hold to be my first that didn't come up to scratch. It's shortcomings are entirely in it's composition - the design I had in my head was completely different to what I am looking at on paper, but here it is nonetheless. EVERYTHING on here is done by hand, and I am particularly proud of the lettering for the venue.

http://ladiespinchwhoresuserouge.tum...ge/33769841258

Second up is the secret piece, done as a tshirt design for my very good friend the promoter who asked me to do my first poster, last spring. Again, everything on here is done by hand. This one was a particular challenge, since it was to be white on black I had to produce the design in reverse - if you invert the colours so that the skulls are black and the background is white, that's what it looks like in real life. That's what I get for doing it by hand! An excercise in patience, certainly, and a technical challenge, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

http://ladiespinchwhoresuserouge.tum...ge/37124976377

It seems like a good time to look back at my work so far - it certainly doesn't feel as though I've been taking commissions for a year, it feels much longer, so in that respect I feel I've come a long way. It's true I'm disappointed I don't have more to show for my year drawing, so I don't yet feel like a bone-fide illustrator, but with new 9-5 weekend-free employment I hope to enjoy more time to spend on this.

My next project is already well under way - very pleased to be doing a cover for a friends' EP which I hope to be a pretty big deal in it's scene. I'm certainly extremely pleased with how it's going, and I even hope to start having prints made of my work from here on with which I can establish myself a bit more. This project is if anything even more secret than the tee, so I doubt I'll be able to post in until the new year, but at least that will be something to look forward to

And in between times I'm working on a bit of an 'identity' for my work, which will help my tumblr look more the part, but it's coming on more slowly than I would like.

After a year, does anyone have any critique to offer me? Can anybody suggest anything to take my work to the next level? I'm excited about doing prints, and I find the time to work when it requires a little mercenary discipline, so any ideas of new channels in which to find work would be greatly appreciated. I'm up for doing anything - book covers/illustrations, film posters, brand identity and apparel etc.

Even if you've not posted in this thread (almost all of you!) thank you for looking at my work.

I could live to be a billion and I wouldn't have time.
    Last edited by padraig; 12-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Comments

I've more news to report, but I don't know if it's the forum (which has never seemed particularly jumping) or my thread that's not creating any discussion, but either way my latest work is on my tumblr here: ladiespinchwhoresuserouge.tumblr.com

Comments

Not that there's any reason you can't have your own thread for your work, but these types of threads tend to stop generating responses after introductions and initial comments on your work are made.

If you want a conversation about your latest gigposters, submit them to the site, and, if anyone has something to say about one of them, theyll do it in the comments there.

For all other work, I refer you to the Daniel Danger Non-Giposter Art thread. This is where the community posts their non-gigposter work and it is discussed *unless its something major enough to warrant its own thread).

Good luck.