Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135803 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Comments

That wolf/sheep thing is awesome!

Such a cool idea!!

Premium Member

Comments

You're illustrations should definitely pique the interests of a good band. Find the right fit and you're set! Especially dig the sheep-wolf morph.

Comments

Hi again guys

I'm very happy with how everything's been going - as a direct result of the EP cover a gig promoter has gotten in touch offering work to produce three gig posters with free reign on the design! Very happy. But I wondered if anyone here has any ideas as to how to broach the subject of payment? The EP cover was for a friend's band, pro bono, but since they pointed the promoter my way the subject hasn't come up. I'm not after a fortune, but even an arbitrary sum that I can guage my progress against. How do you guys bring it up?

Comments

I should also add that I have genuinely no idea how much a bespoke gig poster would cost a promoter, whether from either a renowned professional or jobbing amateur.

Premium Member

Comments

Are you responsible for printing or just the artwork? I'd say that's the single biggest consideration here...

Either way you can always start the conversation by asking what their budget is, especially since you're starting out, though it's often best to lead off that negotiation when you're better equipped to do so. Also, is the poster going to be sold as merchandise, or is it purely an advertisement? If selling them is viable, and the bands are on board, that arrangement needs to be explicit (who gets what).

Money is hard for a lot of people to talk about but it really shouldn't be. Ask about budget this time and if it's lowball, explain that for twice as much you can really spend the time to make a badass poster that's going to hype the show. The promoter is a business person so their motivations are your primary focus when working out a deal that works for both of you.
    bakerprints.com | BP GP | BP twatter | BP facespace
    Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Kyle travels through time to help people. What the fuck do you do?

Comments

Thank you, your advice is fantastic. Thinking about it from his point of view I approached the subject confident in what I was saying.

Just the artwork, as the shows are in Edinburgh. Really happy with what I have already so far, should get the first of the three finished this week, I'll be sure to post it here

Premium Member

Comments

Cool, glad to hear that. Definitely post pics here, looking forward to it.

Comments

Done and done! Many thanks again for the advice, I'm sure it wont be the last time I come a-callin'.

The poster is hosted on my tublr here: Ladies pinch, whores use rouge.

Process-wise, the artwork itself came together very quickly indeed, as did the extra touches on the lettering. Replicating the font I wanted and getting the bold lettering together was far and away the trickiest part. I stand to learn an awful lot when it comes to typography and layout, but I'm nonetheless very pleased. If I do say so myself, for what I'm trying to achieve I don't think I need to worry in the art/drawing dept. I don't mean to blow my own trumpet - I am so very aware that that alone does not a good poster artist make.

Comments

Here we go! I'm pretty happy with it. Had to re-arrange it a little when the line-up changed slightly but I think it's for the best, it looks better than the first time.

Comments

Looks good! Stoked No Omega are coming back over again.