Gig Posters

Posters: 156064 | Bands: 135791 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homemade screen printer

I got wondering if it was possible to do screen printing at home, and so I looked around a little and found this instructable that tells how: Screen Printing: Cheap, Dirty, and At Home It looks pretty neat! Anybody tried this before?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

are you kidding gadget gal? please excuse me for saying so but, get the hell out of here.

A number of years ago, whenever I would search for information about the process, that instructable would come up. I must have read it a hundred times. Here is one which uses an embroidery hoop as the screen and a plastic squeegee. In this one a guy prints a multi-color Warriors vest on leather with major screen ganging and no hinges.

Strange, looking back on those methods now. People are so clever; they want an image on a surface and figure out ways to do it - crude ways maybe but the job gets done.

Premium Member

Comments

We all start somewhere. Unfortunately, many finish their screenprinting efforts there too, thinking that's all there is.

But that's screenprinting. Judging by the enthusiastic responses in the comments the instructions fill a need and expectations. what I find fascinating (working on this 'History of Screenprinting' book has really brought this home) is how these basic steps are re-introduced over and over and over. Wood frame, chiffon fabric, home made emulsion, and crappy squeegee and coating are all so 1920s.

In some ways, that's pretty cool - there's not many technologies you can invest a few dollars and a half hour in and get a saleable result. In other ways, especially when we see the old methods reintroduced to new people year after year through books and now the internet or worse at college and university, one really wonders how stupid or unaware can people really be.

We only have to look around to find the answer to that one. I'm not complaining too loud, it keeps me in business.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Hello GadgetGal,
    is possible to screenprint at home. The biggest part of the screenprinters here print in their garages or in their rooms.

Like said if you don't want to waste your efforts you must understand what you're doing when screenprint. The screenprinting has got a lot of variables...REALLY A LOT. Trying to control these variables, with a good printing table, a good tensioned, coated, burnt screen, a good squeege, a good film -and this is just a part of the variables- you achive a very good print.

Don't be afraid about what I said, everything is possible if you have passion to do it. Screenprint is a "bucket" of little things you must do to achive a result. Change one of this thing and your print will change.

What I suggest is to buy two or three books. The first is the "Gospel of Screenprinting" (http://mysteryhound.org/zines/gospel...eenprinting/): this give you a very good overview about what's the screenprinting. Another book that gives you a good overview and that are also a lot of pics is Print Liberation (http://www.amazon.com/Print-Liberati...ref=pd_sim_b_4). The other book I really suggest you if you like screenprinting, and that's really complete because it explains what you must do to achive a good print is Screenprinting Today , by Andy MacDougall (http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Printin...ref=pd_sim_b_5), the guy who answered you before my post. In this last book you'll find also plans to build a vacuum table to print stock like poster and stickers, and also a plan to build a tshirt jig to print 1 color tshirts (or with a line of those jigs more colors, the mess is you must move the jig between the various stations).

Fabio

Thank you, Fabio, for the comprehensive reply! I will take a look at those books. I can see where the instructable is very primitive, but I didn't know enough about the process to think that anyone here would take offense at it. Thanks, again.

Comments

Like Andy said, everyone has to start somewhere, and that instructable is nice for crafting or hobbying, but don't think that's as far as it goes. Check out the process section on these forums, there are plenty of threads created by people printing out of their homes, basements, garages, and even (studio!) apartments, often with pro results.

You know, at first, I agreed with El Roacho. Then I remembered all the times that I searched for something only to come up with a bunch of threads that ended with a message like El Roacho's. Also, I can't imagine that there are many threads dealing with scrinprinting with methods inolving materials that aren't really suited for the process.

When I made my first dozen or so screens, I just used hand stretched and stapled screens that used probably some sort of synthetic curtain material that wasn't plain weave. I was nearly impossible to print through due to the high thread count, but I didn't know better. In fact, I thought it was screen mesh, haha. I didn't have a scoop coater, I was using speedball emulsion and a frosted 150 watt bulb, exposures were rarely perfect. Even though I was doing several things to 'save money' I ended up buying more and more items that I should have bought in the first place.

I can't say how much I ended up spending to get to a point where I was happy with my prints, but I am pretty sure I spend more than this kit costs, Screen Printing Hobby Kit While it won't make you an expert printer, it will reduce the number of times that you say to yourself, "Why isn't this working out?" What will get you on your way to being an expert printer is the last book that Fabio recommended, Andy MacDougal's book. You should get that first as it has a section on recommendations for beginning printers and what should be bought. It has a fair amount of information that I never would have thought to search for and I am pretty sure there is plenty in that book that won't show up on a search here either.

If you don't take any of my previous advice, take this to heart, SEARCH FUNCTION WILL REVEAL ALL!

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

i'm not being too much of a bastard am i? i mean, look around the site a little, practically everyone here is a do it yourselfer at home type. if gidgetgal looked up one search, her question would be answered.

Comments

You are being a bastard but not outside the realm of normal bastardom for such posting.