Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135235 | Designers: 11483                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Printing on canvas..Fabric or Actylic Inks?

Hello.

Venturing over to printing on canvas finally. I printed Speedball Acrylic to some acryic primed canvas over 2 hours ago and it is still wet and flaking off! Just wondering if I should possibly be using Speedball fabric inks. Though this is on acrylic primed canvas, Another thought I have is to use Fabric inks on nonprimed cotton canvas.

Anyone here have similar issues or experience this before? Happy printin'!

Comments

Use acrylic paint and add lots of retarder to keep it from drying in the screen. Experiment with your mixture and do some test smears.
    Unprimed canvas will take speedball fabric, especially if you wash it first. Unprimed canvas also yellows rather quickly.

Comments

nazdar 9700 . seen that used on a bunch

Is there some way to seal it after you've printed it? Maybe it isn't the ink that's the problem, but something else? Are there different kinds of primer so that one might be more effective than another? Just trying to brainstorm, here.

The acrylic speedball finally dried after about 5 hours, it look pretty good. The thing is I bought the canvas on a roll of Ebay and all it said was acrylic primed, so maybe next round here I will regesso over it(going to to get some black gesso anyways soon).

Another problem(besides slow dry time) I have been running into is that I am using 230 mesh on the canvas, maybe its too fine to hold the design on. I noticed that the design is not covering the whole canvas only the raised parts(because of the canvas texture) so its not printing onto it properly, perhaps a lower mesh would get more coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by ricv64 View Post
    nazdar 9700 . seen that used on a bunch
    Yeah just sticking with water based over here. No fumes, easy cleanup!

Premium Member

Comments

yep, sounds like a looser mesh is what you want.