Gig Posters

Posters: 153002 | Bands: 133640 | Designers: 11369                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default Advice on how I should print this...

Hi everyone, been reading these forums for a couple of years now, and now I have a reason for posting ha I'm printing my first gig poster for a band next week, and wondering what would be the best way to print.

Here's the poster I'm hoping to print:

The poster is 3 colours, orange, purple and black. And I'm just wondering if it would work well with printing the orange in full first, then overprinting the purple (which I will add base to so it is transparent and will hopefully turn into a deep red/brown colour) then printing the black last

or

would it work best to cut out each colour and stamp out each layer, so they can be printed around each other... guess I didn't explain that well, I hope you guys know what I mean.. Hmm

Anyways, I'm a bit excited and worried at the same time for getting this sorta right, so just wanted to ask you lot for advice

Cheers,
    Clare
    Last edited by inkklub; 07-01-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by inkklub View Post
    The poster is 3 colours, orange, purple and black. And I'm just wondering if it would work well with printing the orange in full first, then overprinting the purple (which I will add base to so it is transparent and will hopefully turn into a deep red/brown colour) then printing the black last.
    Sounds like you already got it.

The other way could make minor registration errors stand out a bit more.

Comments

Ah, thanks for replying so quickly, yeah I thought that might be the way I should do it, but just wanted to make sure (this is going to be my 3rd ever screen print so). Also with me using water-based inks I thought maybe you'd be able to see the orange come through the black or something, which I don't want to hence me thinking I might need to do it another way.

Cheers for clarifying though

Premium Member

Comments

Black'll be pretty opaque, doubt it'll be off-putting. Good luck with printing and be sure to keep playing with overlays to get more colors than you are printing!

Premium Member

Comments

Just do some trapping really quick if you want to. 'Select All Color' black and contract your selection by a few pixels to give you some room for print registration. Then just hit 'Clear' on each other layer.

Comments

Ah thanks for the advice Realised I've forgotten all about the white layer on top haha... so I've I'm going to print the block of orange first, then overprint the purple (which will turn brown/red) then the black on top.... if I then print the white on top of that, do you think it will work... as in overprint well on the black so it doesn't show through? I'm using water-based inks so am unsure about this.

Can't believe I forgot about the white haha

If anyone could help me with this it would be appreciated

Cheers

Premium Member

Comments

could be pretty tricky with that white overlay. maybe just try and get you registration super dialed in let the paper come through?

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by El Roacho View Post
    could be pretty tricky with that white overlay. maybe just try and get you registration super dialed in let the paper come through?
    this. 3 colours. register? how would you tell?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

umm, this is what I thought. can't believe I opted for white haha, but that's the way it's gotta stay. yeah suppose I could let the paper show through... thinking it mightn't have the effect I'm looking for doing that though.

Do you think the white over-print would be a problem just printing over the black, or all of the colours? As if it would work well over the purple and orange, then I guess that would be cool, as the white doesn't touch a lot of the black outline...

ps. just checked out your tumblr, really cool stuff, just followed you

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    this. 3 colours. register? how would you tell?
    do you think this is a bad idea then Andymac? do you know if the white would print okay over the purple, if it is pure white ink that I use, and had no base added to it like the other colours ie. orange and purple? I think that is what I need to do... totally new to it all! although have printed with overlay once, came out alrightish: INK KLUB .design.illustration.type. —

cheers