Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Ideal Settings for an Epson 3800?

I feel like this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it. I found bits and pieces in some other threads, but am not having any luck. I need to find out how to get denser blacks out of an Epson 3800. I have been using the following settings for now:

Paper: Premium Photo Paper Glossy
    Print Mode: Black
    Output Resolution: 2880 dpi
    Finest Detail: Checked

I haven't touched the Gamma or anything. My files are 600ppi and in grayscale mode. I've printed several (on Fixxons and AccuMark films), and none of them are coming out near as dense as what I'm used to printing on my 3000. I've gotta get this thing going. Any ideas??

I would guess that the 3800 is never going to achieve the Dmax of the 3000 due to using pigment inks instead of dye. On the other hand, I use a 10600, one of the first generation pigment epsons and I get pretty good black out of it. Though I am using a RIP. I tried using the standard printer software because I read that backlit transparency would work, it doesn't btw, it looks brown to me.

Another factor that just came to me, I am using Ulano's pigment film. I would recommend seeing if you can get a sample.

EDIT: Nevermind on that Dmax comment, epson claims some nutty high number for the K3 inks, so…

Premium Member
    Comments

Some times there's a colour density option that lets you put down more ink.

I use the same settings on my 7600, and though the blacks aren't as 1000% dark as the 3000 I had, the screen burn totally fine. The only time they don't burn well is when its changed to 1440 and the coverage is a bit spotty.

Have you exposed a screen with those settings?

Comments

Thanks for the replies. I haven't burned a screen yet…I was trying to avoid having to reclaim/recoat from janky film. But I'll give it a go.

Comments

You should be able to get fine films using your 3800. Stu, I've been using Epson Pigments inks to get good films since the days of the 9500 series. It's a fallacy that dyes are superior pigments in this regard. Furthermore, with Epson these days, everything is a pigment. I'm not even sure any of Epson new lines of profession printers use true dyes.

I have both the 9800 and the 9600 and the 9800 does print lighter than the 9600. Monkey, I use the same settings you are using. Double check that your blacks are 100% black in the file and up the color density in the printer dialog window as FG suggests.

Comments

Thanks, Luther—that's good to hear. For upping the color density, what percentage would you recommend for starters?

Comments

Send it up all the way just to see.

Comments

Alrighty…here goes +50%!

Epson claims a Dmax of 2.8 (iirc) with the K3 inks, I can't imagine that dye gets much better than that. I chose my printer before I got into screenprinting and couldn't be happier with it.

If you are going to up the density all the way, you might up the dry time all the way as well.

Comments

Good point, you might want to do that.. up the drying time. Also I find with my 9800 that I have to shut off the paper check sensor when printing film or the printer fails trying to find the edge of the film.