Gig Posters

Posters: 153002 | Bands: 133640 | Designers: 11369                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Screenprinting over spray stencil

Happy memorial day!

Its come a time to branch out from regular ole printing and try something new. I was thinking about getting some Montana spray paints and going to try some Warhol style portraits.

Just wondering if anyone has ever experimented with spraypaint and acrylic Speedball on the same poster. That is, say if i wanted to make a face and lay down the black outlines of the face, would it be better to first spraypaint and then screen over the stencil or would it better to first screen onto the paper and then spray in the color?

If anyone has ever expirmented with this please let me know what you think or can offer an opinion. Thanks!

Premium Member

Comments

we have done quite a few prints with airbrush/spray first (using a mask and/or guide) and then SP over top. this looks thebest/trapped

test inks for compatability

We used to do t-shirts at festivals with ablack SP, and then overspray with colour - the colour was so transparent it didn't show up on the black print very much.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Right on, thanks Andy!

Yeah it will probably take some trial and error. I've learned its best to keep a notebook as you screenprint. That way you dont make the same mistakes over and over(the definition of insanity!!!!!!!!!!)

It worked pretty well. The spray paint had to dry for two days before attempting to print over with Speedball Acrylic. I think a more matte finish will result if left to dry for longer.

Also today I went to my closet to get a coated screen. I print upstairs in my house where it is very hot and my screen was ripped! This is the second screen to rip on the side longways where the screen meets the frame.

Can the humidity or heat cause screens to rip this way? At a loss here...