Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135183 | Designers: 11479                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is this legal?

Default is this legal?

is it legal to design, print and sell a band poster without the permission of the band or the manager? for example lets say I make an original death cab for cutie poster and sell it online, do I run the risk of getting sued?

Comments

It happens all the time.

what happens all the time?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Yes. That is called "bootlegging."

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Radish White Ice View Post
    what happens all the time?
    Assholes who think they'll fly under the radar while they try making a few bucks off of stealing someone else's intellectual property or using their trademark without authorization, getting their asses sued off and ground into the fuxxing pavement.
    ...happens all the time.

But it seems like an odd question to ask as the answer is so obvious. Are you for real?
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Just turn it to a star wars poster and everyone will love it.

I'm not trying to boot leg somebody else work, I make completely original work based on the music I like to listen to and I'm just wondering if its wrong to sell it?

Comments
    Items for Sale

You are attempting to cash in on the career/brand that someone else has put a lot of work into. In order to determine whether you are on ethically murky footing, simply put yourself into their shoes: Let's say you spend 5 or 6 years building a Radish White Ice brand - you make a real name for yourself. One day you do a Google Search and discover that I am selling Radish White Ice t-shirts on Cafepress. Question: Are you mad at me?

Comments
    Items for Sale

Hint: I actually really DO have a cafepress account and I really AM selling t-shirts that say "Radish White Ice" on them. They are really popular. Thank you.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Radish White Ice View Post
    I'm not trying to boot leg somebody else work, I make completely original work based on the music I like to listen to and I'm just wondering if its wrong to sell it?
    Make all the Death Cab-based posters you want, just don't put their name on them. The moment you do without their permission, you are bootlegging.