Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135338 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default let's talk trapping..

Hey all,

Ok, i've searched this forum, and the web as a whole to try and find a tutorial on colour trapping in photoshop or illustrator, but can't find anything.

What I do at the moment in photoshop is select one of the lighter colour layers (once they're seperated), expand the outline by a couple of pixels, then fill the expanded area with the same colour. This works fine, but I only want to overlap the layers on the edges where they meet, not the whole layer, if you know what I mean. Any thoughts?

Comments
    Items for Sale

you could select and expand like you're doing, but then use a pen tool to hand-fill just the overlapping areas where trapping is required.

Comments

You can add thickness to the stroke...

Premium Member

Comments

Make a mask of every layer merged. Then when you expand the layer you want to trap, it will only go into other inks instead of expanding into the paper.

Hey Standard, dunno why I didn't think of that really - that is a stupidly brilliant and simple answer - love it. That's what i'm gonna do, thanks man!

Thanks Itty - that also sounds good. I'll give both these a whirl. Legends x

Premium Member

Comments

...women?

Yeah, it can be a fucking puzzle. In both respects.

Try your best to incorporate trapping as you design or part of the design itself to make things easier. You'll prolly be end up selecting by color, expanding pixels, fill on a separate layer, select the color(s)' edges you want removed and clear it out?