Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135216 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP! mass bleeding on posters.

Hello guys, ive screenprinted before but not much on paper. Here is whats up. I am trying to print posters about 18x 36 inches, i have a screen that I hand painted with screen filler. I am using permatex waterbase ink, and screen mesh is 160. printing on posterbond paper. printing black only.

i make a pass and the image is bleeding bad, im thinking i need to go up in mesh count, but what would you reccomend? not a detailed image but i want it sharp.

also, if anyone has info on how to make the transparancies that large would be killer.

also, the paper is sticking really hard to the screen after printing.

Premium Member

Comments

Do you have sufficient off-contact and sufficient vacuum or spray tack to hold the paper down?

the off contact is about the thickness of the jiffy hinge base, its pretty far actually.

i dont have a vacuum table, just taped it to the table.

Premium Member

Comments

Taped it? You need some spray mount (not the heavy duty stuff though). The paper needs to be held down in all areas, not just the corners.

i will try that, any brand in particular for the spray tack?

also, what mesh do you suggest?

Premium Member

Comments

Sorry. Can't help anymore. I just use what Steve Walters lets me use. I don't question it.
    Do a forum search and all your questions will probably be answered. I know mesh count will be.

Premium Member

Comments

You should be fine and could go up to a nice fine 230 count if you'd like. Like Mikeage suggests, it sounds like you really need the paper to stay on the table to make it work. If the paper sticks to the screen even once it can potentially slide while it peels off causing ink to smear and end up on the paper side in places you don't want it. Then you'll have to clean off the mess on the paper side before it'll print clear again. Once you get that paper secured the snap of the off contact will be doing its job in getting a nice even print.

I've not used spray mount myself yet, but gotten away with double sided tape in strategic places for a long time now. It might rip some paper off from the first print, but it'll lose tack after a bit and should be good for a while. Put some strips along the edges or corners and a few every half dozen inches or so down the middle. G'luck!

Premium Member

Comments

Plus make sure the angle of your squeegee is not to low or you could be pulling too much ink through on each pass. Another thought is if your poster board has a glossy finish it will not accept the waterbased ink in the same way an uncoated stock will.

I think 305mesh will be fine,160mesh is not suitable for paper printing