Gig Posters

Posters: 153002 | Bands: 133640 | Designers: 11369                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Drawing

Comments

Default Digital Drawing

I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday trying to find a info on color profiles for wide format printers, for work. I picked up a book that I thought might have something about this. It turned out to be a book more about drawing in photoshop with different brush tips and showed example and how to etc,...
    I just have to say it was crap. It all had a very overdone slick, airbrushed look.
    The whole book just had no soul to it. It kind of bummed me out.

I know at this day and age this will get it done faster and it takes talent to get to that level. I think the whole digital thing is taking away from the human element.

my 2 cents

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

Dylan went electric. Drawing goes digital. Still need the human element to make it good...and it can be.

I'm more concerned with the way texting, twittering, and other abbreviated forms of electronic communication are ruining the art of the written word.

Premium Member

Comments

i agree with you loco, i can always tell when something is hand drawn. i've seen a lot of good work coming from people using those cintique tablets, but no matter what it always looks too polished to me, and i am not saying that's a bad thing at all. no matter how many brushes you have uploaded there will always be an element of 'soullessness' mixed in there.

Premium Member

Comments

Daniel Danger has a little bit of soullessness?

Premium Member

Comments

I agree on an illustration base it can tend to be little less desirable than real pen, pencil, and ink. But i have to admit, on the painting bases I've seen some pieces that blew me away, and i was confident they were real oil paintings, only to watch the Corel Painter X speed painting video of it. Some can be polished and look phony, or fake. But there are some that are insane as well.
    "Don't forget to enjoy life"- Phoond

Comments

I grew up looking at stuff by Alberto Vargas, Kelly & Mouse, Boris Vallejo and Norman Rockwell and they just have that human element that can not be denied.

I see guys/gals here in GP that have that same gift. Johnny Crap, Johnny Thief, Emek, Dwitt, Tanaxx, Tara McPherson, Angryblue, etc,.. that just bring it everytime with there very own style. I guess it was more about the book showing alot of artwork that in my option was just total crap

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

I hear ya, there's a lot to be said for random mistakes, smudges, bleeding lines etc. I used to really want a cintique or wish I had the skills to make nice, clean tapered lines and stuff...but now I love the sloppy hand drawn styley.
    Jeff

Premium Member

Comments

no mike, i guess i don't mean that it's soulless, i just like the character of sloppy hand drawn styley. and i agree that some amazing work can/ has come from digital media but i would be more impressed when it comes from a hand onto a canvas.

Premium Member

Comments

Don't get me wrong, I know what you guys are saying about the beauty of the imperfection, a little wabi sabi. I just have an issue when anything and everything done digitally is automatically discredited. Photoshop still can't come up with the idea or all of the execution.

Comments

i do almost all my contract work digitally with a wacom. for what its worth, the extent of brushes and such i use in photoshop is a 9 pixel circle eraser and 9 pixel circle brush. thats it, heh. its easier for me to think about it if i keep it simple within the program, an analog to the way i use ink on clayboard. i dont buy into textured brushes and such. its CERTAINLY not faster (my hand still has to make every single motion, 1:1), it just allows me to fix mistakes and make revisions quicker, which is important in this era of nitpicky 'just photoshop it' clients with shallow pockets. drawing digitally is sort of a must for me if im doing ANYTHING where someone else has a final say, ie any contract work. if im a week into a pen and ink drawing, and some client says "this single element needs to be bigger", i cant just start an original over.

i mean, anything can look soul-less. thats just bad art. the medium isnt that relevant if the artist puts honestly himself into it. ever see those guys who make portrait images out of cheetos?