Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Gig Posters for a class

Hiya, Kind of new here...Right'o so for my electronic illustration class I have to design 2 gig posters for a particular assignment (not everyone in the class is doing posters, we all are doing our own thing for this assignment). They're both due in about 3 weeks and I have one done so far, but I wouldn't mind receiving feedback on it so I can improve it and also apply whatever I've learned to the second one. Ahah, and uh, don't mind the date.

The poster is 11"x17" in size, and the lines where done with the pentool in illustrator (a tool I am not very good at, unfortuantly, but it had to be used for this assignment.) the colors are done in Photoshop.

Here's the sketch for the second one too.

Thanks for reading~

Comments

are you trying to ask about "design, layout" ? because then it's really busy and there isn't much to the layout... laying out-wise.

as illustration it looks pretty cool, though.

Premium Member

Comments

Beef up your lettering to make the name of the band stand out more.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Artest View Post
    are you trying to ask about "design, layout" ? because then it's really busy and there isn't much to the layout... laying out-wise.

as illustration it looks pretty cool, though.
    Critique in anything really, drawing-wise, legibility, design, but yeah, design/layout is most important for now, I guess it is too many branches and trees taking up so much space. I'll try to fix that up and make it seem less busy.

Quote Originally Posted by kim_a View Post
    Beef up your lettering to make the name of the band stand out more.
    Agreed, I made the letters in Photoshop by tracing over a font and altering it to make the text "fit" more, but I think I'm going to have to trace them again and make a vector version of them so I'll have more control of their size for the next piece.

Thanks guys!

Comments

The floating trees are a bit odd...

Premium Member

Comments

as mentioned above, the line weight on the text is weak compared to the line weight on the illustration.

there's also a question of practicality - is this intended to be screenprinted (like most of the posters on this site are)? because that's an awful lot of colors. the challenge would be to make the same design with three or four colors.
    most of the time we never fish!

Comments

The trees in the back do look more like they're floating, haha. They were supposed to look more like they were receding into the back and being looked at from a bird's eye view. I'll take them out, I didn't quite feel they were looking that great either.

Quote Originally Posted by jayryan View Post
    as mentioned above, the line weight on the text is weak compared to the line weight on the illustration.

there's also a question of practicality - is this intended to be screenprinted (like most of the posters on this site are)? because that's an awful lot of colors. the challenge would be to make the same design with three or four colors.
    Good point about the line widths, I do want the text to stand out so I will be sure to redo the letters this week. Oh, and it's meant to be printed with any color inkjet printer, not screen printed. I never quite thought of limiting my color pallet for a screen print though...I don't know much about the process when it come to screen printing to be honest so I'm glad you brought that up. I intend to take a class on it next semester, though so I can learn.

Comments

I've put some thought into this and here's where you're getting it all wrong. Now I read that apparently you have three weeks to do two posters? Here's the problem. You aren't supposed to actually work on them for three weeks. So stop. Throw away what you've done. Now go do a bunch of other shit. Party, meet some chicks, play video games...whatever it is that you do. Spend absolutely no time thinking about this assignment.

Now here's the crucial part. At the bare minimum of two hours before your assignment is due, throw two posters together.

And that is how gig posters are made!

Premium Member

Comments

It's not clear what the overall feel of the poster is supposed to be. Is it supposed to dark/evil vibe? The spiral lines on the tree bark and some of the other line work gives it more of a comical feel. Like a scooby doo cartoon. This isn't a bad thing if that's what you're going for.

Premium Member

Comments

That's some A+ spam right there.