Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default push or pull stroke

I saw a video one time, a while ago, where a shirt printer was demonstrating a technique for getting an opaque white on a black shirt - the "push stroke". While I don't really think this is the case, it did get me to using the "push" stroke and I gotta say, for me at least, it lays down more ink, more consistently, than the pull. Also it is a lot more comfortable for me, and less straining on the muscles since I can use more of the weight of my body for the movement.

I would like to start standardizing some of my techniques and haven't decided which is better. Most places I read information about printing only mention pull strokes and a lot of people don't even know what I'm talking about when I say push stroke.

So - is this heresy? People must be sweet on pulling for a reason. I know that it will fuck up your registration if you switch techniques in the middle of a run if you do not use clamps at the front of your frame.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by edwardo_machino; 03-22-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

Comments

I push exclusively, better pressure and angle control, slightly trickier but uses way better muscles than pulling. I also like to leave my squeegee at the front of the screen when printing with large screens, which works well with pushing.

Comments

there was an article that just came up in screenweb...

Pushing vs. Pulling in Manual Screen Printing | ScreenWeb | screenweb.com

but it gets confusing because it's not just about pushing or pulling, but about the angle of the blade.

Comments

pull for flatstock / push for garment-apparel

Quote Originally Posted by RADAR View Post
    pull for flatstock / push for garment-apparel
    Why do you do this? What are the differences you've noticed between the two methods?

Comments

If pulling vs pushing is making that big a difference then you aren't doing something right. Generally when I watch people learning to print they use too much arm/wrist and not enough back/leg.

Comments

i find when i pull i put down less ink, and when i push i can get it thicker.

also when i pull i can move faster.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    If pulling vs pushing is making that big a difference then you aren't doing something right. Generally when I watch people learning to print they use too much arm/wrist and not enough back/leg.
    Well this is what I'm trying to zero in on. Whenever I push I get total coverage 95 percent of the time. When I pull this drops off, and most of the time I have to pull a second time. I'm sure my pull technique is not up to par and I guess it is just easier for me to perform a correct push than pull. I'm thinking a lot of this has to do with my table elevation, which is a bit high.

Comments

I have movable platforms at the school shop to help those that are vertically challenged and it help a lot.

Comments

what I've usually seen in classes is that people change the angle of their blade slightly when pulling. especially if the table is already uncomfortable for them. they stand in one place and pull down, but in the process the squeegee goes from a nice 70-90 degree angle to folded over, which will print pretty badly regardless of pressure. Or it gets too steep and wobbles from friction.

Are we talking fabric printing or paper? Covering a dark substrate with a light ink?