Gig Posters

Posters: 154402 | Bands: 134582 | Designers: 11434                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default Nice guys finish last. Awesome guys finish on her face. Direct stencil process.

Did I ever mention I love spray paint.

In this thread I'll show you how to do a cool direct stencil print with spray paint. Also a great way to do a Jack o lantern or cool looking grafitti. This print method is also dirt cheap.

What you will need.

1. Original or photograph
    I did this drawing of Charlie Sheen.

2. photocopy or some kind of print (one layer for each color you want to use)
    URL=http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac334/buckrobertsart/?action=view&current=directstencil024.jpg][/URL]
    3. Thicker material to cut your stencil out of. (you can use anything thicker materials give you durability but thinner materials give you more workability.
    4. exacto knife
    5. drop cloth or at least some cardboard
    6. spray paint (whatever colors you are using)
    7. Paper or canvas. You won't get a huge edition from paper stencils keep in mind if you want to do a big edition you will have to use some kind of plastic.
    OK what to do first.

Place photocopy over thick paper. (You can tape it I would advice this)
    cut out each layer

I usually start with a solid color background and paint right over the top of it.

Place stencil over paper. (make sure you get your placement right)
    You can use some kind of weight. I prefer pocket change. I have seen people use metal and use magnets to hold their stencils. Whatever works for you.

Shit. I was sure that I had taken more photos. I'll post some more when I do the next batch.

Finished product looks like this.

Iwill edit this and post more pics later.

Comments

ha

Premium Member

Comments

Geoff, there must be a way to encourage people to view someone's work for their own betterment without cutting them down to a stump.

Comments

Perhaps Dave but the Sheen art is super lame and opportunistic and there is no reason to perpetuate it be it stencil or otherwise.

Premium Member

Comments

I agree on the content critique. My wife, after hearing about all of the Sheen meltdown hoo ha through me while we were in Australia(because she could give a shit about spoiled millionaires) said it reminded her of the movie 'Network', where the poor guy who was losing his mind was encouraged to lose his mind because it was good for ratings. Sad for everyone involved.

But if you're going to encourage someone on a craft level, sneaking in a low blow of their content seems inapproriate.

Comments

I'm actually discouraging it so the Sheen stencil stops...

Premium Member

Comments

Then just say 'Capitalizing on an obviously mentally ill man is in extremely bad taste. Instead, think about what actually matters in your own life and make some art based on it. For your own benefit, study the incredible work of Mig Kokinda to see just how high the art of stencils can go'

Comments

Well said Dave. Mig does have incredible art. Goodnight, we have a long day tomorrow...

Premium Member

Comments

cheers.
    I am jet lagged as shit, drunk as a skunk, and surprisingly lucid.
    Say hi to everyone in Austin for me. I'll be struggling to get back to work in Saint Paul tomorrow.