Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135333 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default screen printing record covers...

i was wondering, if i buy blank record covers to screen print, if i take a heat gun to where its glued, would it melt it with out damaging the cover? all this is before the actual print.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

No.

See if Calumet Carton or Stumptown or somebody like that will sell you sleeves diecut but unglued.

I can get them made custom for you if you want but it would probably only be economical in quantities of 500+.
    If you want to print full bleeds, you need to print on uncut sheets and then diecut & assemble... Which again only becomes economical in quantity.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

If you want to make something that looks D.I.Y. Or Die, that's one thing, but if you want a sleeves that look clean, crisp and pro, with full bleeds, you should print on uncut sheets and then have a diecutter cut and assemble. Call diecutters and see if you can find one with a stock lp sleeve die. Even if you can't, a custom die like that shouldn't cost more than about $150 to make.

Lots of bands do the folded-paper-in-a-baggie thing, like a giant 7". I always think that looks half-assed and lame. If you're already going to the expense of recording, mastering, and pressing vinyl, why skimp on the last step and make something that looks tacky & cheap?

Comments

^^^This.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Lots of bands do the folded-paper-in-a-baggie thing, like a giant 7". I always think that looks half-assed and lame. If you're already going to the expense of recording, mastering, and pressing vinyl, why skimp on the last step and make something that looks tacky & cheap?
    Depends on the music and the quantity... Punk's got a weird synthetic economy going on where no one will pay for nice things. If a small band has a full-length's worth of material and can't muster selling 1000+ copies, a run of 300 or 500 can still be had mastering/plating/pressing vinyl at $3 a piece. For quantities that small, I think it's almost always best to go with a nicely designed fold-over rather than a cheap, 15pt one colour jacket. You can screen print something real nice, with a spine even, and still keep a small run cheap so that you can sell them for 6 or 7 bucks, which is all people will pay once you cut in shipping mailorder or a store's markup.

However, if you happen to either a) be able to sell 1000+ records; or b) have people who care about your band who also buy nice things, a nicely printed, die-cut and glued jacket is the way to go. You gotta keep your options open though...

Comments

I'm not sure where I stand on this. Part of me agrees that a well printed, well designed slip beats a poorly produced sleeve while the other agree's on the 'you spent so much on it, why skimp?' mindset.

I think that if it's one of the first few things you put out, or simply a split with a friend then it's fine to go scrappy. And if it is going to go to friends then I think it might be better that way - more fun, more personal. But would you really send that out and expect to be taken as seriously as a band who's REALLY put the effort into the release - DIY or otherwise?

I think the A Wilhelm Scream 12" above shows how some things just need the care and attention. I wasn't a mad fan of the artwork but having it professional produced and die cut makes it really, really tempting.

My 2 cents anyway.

you should check out New World Digital. they do really good work (not affiliated with them)