Gig Posters

Posters: 154331 | Bands: 134495 | Designers: 11429                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default "Process Week" on my blog

For the next 4 days on my blog, I'm gonna post about a different process of some new stuff I made - the first one is an album cover, but the last three are posters/prints.

The first one is up now: the flying pitilli brothers: Stockholm Syndrome Apollo

Last edited by James flames; 02-15-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: add pic

Comments

Nice job, I love the colors.

Premium Member

Comments

Just posted Day 2 of "Process Week" - today I show how I created the art for my Donkey Kong print from the Gallery 1988 show earlier this year.
    the flying pitilli brothers: Donkey Kong "Kill Screen"

Last edited by James flames; 02-15-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added link

Premium Member

Comments

Damn! Awesome stuff.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

Got another one - Day 3 of "Process Week". It's for a new art print + tour poster that I called A Harlem Hand, A Harlem Heart - lots of pics and stuff. Hope y'all are diggin these...

the flying pitilli brothers: A Harlem Hand, A Harlem Heart

Premium Member

Comments

(Ripped from my blog: the flying pitilli brothers: Save A Secret For The Moon )

4th and final day of "Process Week"! Today I'll go back to basics to show a new black & white poster I made for a couple of local Asheville bands, Warm the Bell and the Cheeksters.

And as an added treat, any orders from my store for the next two weeks will receive one of these babies for free! JAMES FLAMES - Posters & Illustration (and don't worry, anyone who's placed an order in the past few days, I've already included these with your order).

This little sketch barely measures an inch square, but all the information I need is already in there. I get excited when I know I'm gonna have a lot of soft brush strokes to draw - so I scanned the sketch into the computer, to blow it up to the final working size, 11" x 17".

I print the blown-up version onto two pieces of regular 8.5x11 paper, and tape them together. This will act as my guide - I tape it underneath a fresh sheet of bristol paper (I use Strathmore with a Vellum finish), and place them both over my lightbox and begin drawing.

Here's what the final pencil drawing looks like. Everything's pretty much in it's place, but I made a couple notes before inking - one you can see are the arrows below the lettering, reminding me to bring all those letters down a bit.

Sometimes I'll ink directly over the final pencils, but I'm also kind of a neat-freak (at least with drawing - not so much in the rest of my life), and this page was Dirty! The lines had been worked over so much - lots of deep pencil marks and lots of erased areas. So I got yet another fresh sheet of Bristol paper, taped it above this drawing, put it over the lightbox, and re-drew the whole thing one last time with soft pencil strokes - just enough to suggest where the inks will go.

I know that sounds like overkill, but it's become a habit by now, and I think the final work is always the better for it.

I reach for my trusty #2 Winsor & Newton brush and Black Star ink, and do some quick brush exercises. I always do a little warm-up before I start inking - gets me nice a loose and gets my brush in good shape. Then I begin. With this one I started with his shirt and body, which would be most of the thinner lines on the whole poster - I like to work from thin to thick. (the hair of course is the funnest part).

The hanging letters were outlined with some markers - just for a little ease. Once it was all inked, I used white ink to do the final lettering up top and the stars, as well as to cover a few areas that I decided shouldn't be so dark.

Finally I erase any remaining pencil lines, sign it, and decide it's finished! Here's a detail shot:

Thanks to everyone who read any or all of these posts this week - I'm always glad to share how these things go down. And I figure if I ever come down with amnesia or something, I'll at least have these documented to remind me of how I used to do it all. Yeah, I know...real pleasant thought.

Premium Member

Comments

Hello,
    the Windsor & Newton #2 brush is animal fur, do you know a similar not animal brush?

However I really like the black inked illustrations! For the hair you also could used a white ink pen, to add the light point after black inked.

Thanks!
    Fabio

Comments

wow!