Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135336 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Scoop Coating a 23 X 31

I have some new aluminum 23X31 screens. Problem is i still only have my 15" scoop coater. Will i be able to make two passes side by side without compromising the coat? Or do i need a larger (say 18") scoop coater. I hope not, since there not readily available locally and i need to get started on these posters ASAP.

Thanks Guys!

Premium Member

Comments

I coat my 30x40" screens with like, a 12" scoop coater and they're always fine. I have no problems doing it, other than that it takes a bit longer.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Comments

How about you buy the correct sized scoop?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Circa779 View Post
    Will i be able to make two passes side by side without compromising the coat?
    Yes but it's tricky to get it right.
    If you're coating both sides (you should be,) the coats on the inside will clean up some of the mess from where the outside coats overlap...then a single scrape down the middle on the first side with minimal pressure will get the rest of the excess without messing up the coat.

I coat big (44x56 I think) screens with a 20" scoop all the time, without any ill effects on my stencil, even when printing fine detail and halftones.

As Luther says, I could just get the proper sized scoop...but so far, the credo If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It has served me well.

Premium Member

Comments

Yeah, buying a bigger scoop coater has been on my to-do list for a while now, but only because it would save me some time coating screens. I've used scoop coaters that were sized to coat a screen in one pass, and it was kind of awesome. I should just order one today.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Comments

1. Try to do it in 2 runs tilting it slightly sideways, so you wont have an thick edge of emulsion in the middle of screen.
    2. If you use the screen weekly- buy a biger coater
    3. BRG