Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134630 | Designers: 11443                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default stubborn dots of emulsion

I,ve washed out the emulsion from my screen using bleach, however there are a very few tiny dots that can,t seem to wash out.
    Question would I be able to use a toothbrush, to try and remove them without damaging the screen. Would warm water help?

Premium Member

Comments

Are you reclaiming with a power washer? If not, get one.
    Also, I've found that reclaiming is much easier, cleaner, and more efficient with actual reclaiming solution. Strip E Doo is a pretty great one.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

Gozo,
    i believe bleach was something used in the old times of the screenprinting, perhaps during the 70s. If you are in the USA buy Franmar products like boatdreams suggested. They are environmentally sure. If you're from any other country buy the recovering product. It's a salt or a liquid you need to mix with the water (better distilled). You can use a spoonge but it's better a SOFT brush.

Don't be hard with brush but don't treat it like a lady.

And yes, use a power washer, with at least 120 bar.

Warm water can help but do not use it with bleach, it can generate dioxin if I remember well. Perhaps water can work when workin with the degreasing product (dishsoap)

Fabio

Comments

I am the ultimate ghetto man, my power washer is my thumb, so now I will try some warm water with dish soap.
    Hey Fabio,Unfortunatly I forgot how to treat a lady, since my gigolo days are long gone.

A power washer isn't really optional. Go to a carwash if you have to.

Comments

power washer is a great way to deal with those dots of emulsion and/or colour, also repeating the proces of reclaiming with emulsion remover can backfire on you in terms of those dots get locked in the mesh if the whole shabang gets dry. I learned that the hard way.....

Premium Member

Comments

-you get one chance at using reclaimer/bleach. after the first time, it's pointless.
    -never spray it onto a dry screen.
    -stop hiding behind the "ghetto" ethic. If you don't know what you're doing, fine.
    Do it half-assed and waste money and have it look like crap.
    At least take advice if you're going to ask for it.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

you need a power washer to be a screeprinter. point blank period.

i have a few screens that are old and have some little dots locked in from over the years though. i've just marked them as "schmutzey" and use them for films that need or have texture.

Comments

I can't imagine not having a power washer in our print studio. It would make an already difficult and timely process even more so. Depending on the variables involved, we've burnt stencils w/ fine enough detail that we needed to wash them out w/ the power washer rather than the garden hose. I won't scold or condemn anyone and/or their process here but will say that a power washer is a tool that I would highly recommend. Especially, since you are having the issues that you are. It's the simplest fix. It's one of the first investments we made at our space.

Comments

Hi Steve,
    I,m sorry if I might have irked you, however bear in mind that I,m only just starting out, most things are new to me,and some of the supplies have to be shipped to me from abroad. So doing it the primitive way is not by choice but though what materials I can find locally.

I also do appreciate all the advise that you lot have given me.