Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135797 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default What's yer emulsion of choice? Why?

Just wondering for knowledge sharing sake...

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Murakami Photocure Pro.
    Because it is the best*

* by which I mean:
    -It seems to have a pretty forgiving time window within which you can get a good burn
    -It holds fine detail, hairlines, halftones, curves etc beautifully
    -I've used it on runs well into the thousands and it has not broken down AT ALL
    -Easy to reclaim
    -I can get it for $50/gal
    -I've never bought a skunked gallon (Suck it, Chromaline)
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

I like it when emulsion works.

(Ulano LX-660 is my usual poison, but I might mess around some more. I'd like to try the clear emulsion one day for fun's sake.)

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I've had to use a clear emulsion, when I was printing phosphorescent ink. The pigment was so coarse and abrasive that it was scratching the dye out of my usual emulsion, giving the ink a greenish tint. Undyed emulsion = problem solved. I chatted up the Chromaline tech guy and he fedexed me out a quart for free.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    I've had to use a clear emulsion, when I was printing phosphorescent ink. The pigment was so coarse and abrasive that it was scratching the dye out of my usual emulsion, giving the ink a greenish tint. Undyed emulsion = problem solved. I chatted up the Chromaline tech guy and he fedexed me out a quart for free.
    Very cool! I had a similar thing happen when printing a clear varnish for an artist book project. Luckily the stock was dark brown, so the red dye from the emulsion didn't reflect too much on the final product.

I remember starting out and having trouble with registration, and when I heard about clear emulsion I though that would be the ultimate answer to registration frustrations. It's not a problem now, but that urge remains.

A free quart of LX-660 is what got me on the Ulano horse. Take note, suppliers!

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Murakami Photocure Pro.
    Because it is the best*

* by which I mean:
    -It seems to have a pretty forgiving time window within which you can get a good burn
    -It holds fine detail, hairlines, halftones, curves etc beautifully
    -I've used it on runs well into the thousands and it has not broken down AT ALL
    -Easy to reclaim
    -I can get it for $50/gal
    -I've never bought a skunked gallon (Suck it, Chromaline)
    I've been planning on giving this a shot after I use up my ulano qtx. Does it expose well with a pair of 500 watt halogens? I'm over qtx, its too touchy and I feel like I'm always having to readjust my exposure times.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by halfmassive View Post
    I've been planning on giving this a shot after I use up my ulano qtx. Does it expose well with a pair of 500 watt halogens? I'm over qtx, its too touchy and I feel like I'm always having to readjust my exposure times.
    As someone just starting and also using QTX with halogens, this is good to know...

Comments

Find out what Andy uses and buy that.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Andy uses Murakami. He recommended it to me when I was griping about getting multiple skunked gallons of Chromaline.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmassive View Post
    I use the same halogens for my exposure. It's not as quick as QTX, but much better in my experience.

The thing about having to readjust your exposure times is: that may be your fault, not the emulsion.
    If you don't mix the emulsion regularly, the solids will begin to settle to the bottom of your bucket, changing your exposure time as you work through the bucket. You might also notice that it gets harder and harder to reclaim.
    Also, emulsion has a limited shelf life once sensitized. If it is taking you longer than a few weeks to go through a bucket, your exposure times will change. This is true of any emulsion.

Parry- I don't know where you go for supplies, but I get Murakami at Screenworks Supply Co. From where you are, it's a straight shot up Austin Ave., turn left into the industrial park just before the big rail overpass south of Grand. Closer to you than CSS, and better IMO.
    Last edited by crosshair; 01-29-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Comments

Thanks dan. I know my emulsion isnt too old but now that I think about I really don't mix regularly. Either way I think I'm going to give the murikami a shot when the weather warms up and I get printing again.