Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Screen Printing Portfolio?

I'm preparing my portfolio and have a few pieces that are screen printed. When you guys put screen printed work in your portfolio, do you use the artwork on the computer? Or do you photograph/scan the finished product and use those pictures? Again, for other things, say packaging or labeling, for example, do you use the digital artwork, or photographs?

Thanks!

Premium Member

Comments

For screenprinted work, I would use well-done and well-lit photos of the poster, especially if you screenprint your own stuff and are looking for work printing for others. If you're an illustrator, you might just want to show the flat artwork from a digital file, as the focus is not on the printing and you don't want to distract from your actual illustration, allthough I guess you *could* include a shot of finished posters hanging outside a venue or something, that is, if it fits with the work and with the tone of your portfolio's presentation.

For general graphic design work such as packaging and anything that goes onto a 3d object or has a certain print or finish, I include both the digital artwork/layout and photos of the object that shows off the elements within the graphic system (if its packaging) and detail shots that show the finishing and texture, f.ex if something has specialty inks, foils, specil paper or embossing etc.

For fabric printing I've seen portfolios printed on a stiff felt material made by pellon that you can get at a fabric store. It soaks ink like fabric but is stiff enough to hold and stack in your portfolio.

Comments

If you have a blog it would be a cool idea to explain what you're hoping to achieve by posting the digital files and once complete post decent photographs of the finished printed article. Explaining any issues you had to overcome would also add more interest to the shots.
    For good shots of your finished prints for your online portfolio it's vital to get a decent camera, I use a Canon 1000D (entry level dslr), hope this helps...